Enough of that.
I wanted to preface my thoughts with those statements so you understood that I am trying to portray some big, deep stuff, and it isn't going to come across as pretty as it should. Hopefully, the general idea, and the idea of what I am feeling will make it through.
Lately I have been feeling rather down about raising children. I have had experiences which cause me to be scared to raise children in todays world. All the scary things that could happen to them--from bad people doing bad things, to bad people influencing them. All the bad things they could do (I don't even want to think about that!). All the sad things that could happen to them. All the sadness they could feel (and do feel now! I hate to see Weston sad because of what others say to him, or when others hurt him). The hurt, the anger. (I notice that I am writing COULD, but really should have WILL in there instead) What if they leave the church? Okay, people can find happiness other places... But, the blessings they would miss out on! It would crush me to see them miss out on the happiness they could TRULY have (it has taken being a parent to understand so much of this). What if I am not a good enough parent to teach them of that happiness? What if they are mad at me for not raising them right? What if, what if, what if?
(Don't worry, this won't all be a downer)
So, I sat looking at Weston and thought, "If I only would have had him--one child--he would probably be raised practically to be perfect. I would have more patience if there was only one child around. I would have more time to spend working on teaching that child correct principles. Teaching how to behave, how to act, etc. I would have more time to show love. I would be less cranky. Would it have been better?" Please don't think of me as bad. I was just going through thought processes. Because then, I looked at Aidan. And I thought, "If I would have stopped at one, then I wouldn't have Aidan. What a kid! What a joy to my life! I can't imagine my life without him. He brings me so much happiness." And then looking at Brennan. Again what joy!
I've always said I wanted five kids. It is just what Scott and I have always said. We even think we know what we are going to have (three boys and two girls), we'll see if that turns out right. It isn't because the spirit has specifically said anything to me. I just feel it. Should I stop because of my insecurities? Should I let fear overcome me? Do I think God would set me up to fail? I think he believes in me. I think he is allowing me to have these children and raise them in these days. I think I can do it. I will do my best, and ask for the Lord to help me. If bad things happen, we push on through using the Holy Ghost as our guide. If they choose incorrectly, we continue loving and use the Holy Ghost as our guide.
So, I will look on the brighter side of life. I will see the good in the world. I will do things that will help me be a better mother. I will strive to love the boys more, and be angry at them less. I will pray for guidance daily. I will slow down. I will look forward to my future children (even if it is two more boys instead of two girls).
I will hope for the best, have faith in my Savior, and learn charity through loving my children.
10 comments:
Wow, Brittany, what great thoughts! I have been feeling discouraged tonight too because I'm not the mom I wish I was. I got impatient way too many times during FHE tonight and thought it would have been better if we hadn't even had it! Thank you for the inspiration and hopeful thoughts. It helps to know that our Heavenly Father has faith in us! Mothering is such a hard and huge job and takes a lot of courage. I'm so impressed with you and what a good mother you are. I think your boys are so lucky to have you and I can't wait to meet your next two (whether boys or girls!) You're wonderful! Thanks again for this thought-provoking post.
Brittany, you are a wonderful mother. I have always been impressed by you and Scott. I admire you and the values you stand for. I have the same fears and worries as a mother that you do too! I have to remind myself often about the work of a mother is Heavenly Father's work. I know He will help me, lift me up, and make me stronger as I raised my children in the world today. Thanks for the "post" and helping me stop and think about my calling as a mother. I know Heavenly Father blessed our family with two special children and He has entrusted me with them to teach them and raise them. As we build a foundation for our children, Heavenly Father will strengthen us as His daughters. Knowing His hand is in our life makes everything we do as mothers, wives, and women worthwhile! Brittany, you are amazing and I am grateful for your example and friendship.
hang in there, mom. if you start giving in to all the "what if's" you'll make yourself crazy. "Be still, and know that I am God." Do all the things you know (scriptures, prayer, FHE, church, temple, etc.) and you and your children will be blessed. You're doing a great job!
I hear you....100%. I posted today about discouragement that I have been feeling as well, only you hit the nail right on the head! You write wonderfully. It IS hard! I have thought some of those same thoughts you mentioned many many times. And you are so right...all we can do is our best, keep loving our sweet babies and live day to day trusting in the Lord. You are a great mom Brittany!
Life is to short and your kids are too cute to stay discouraged.
Just do the best you can with the time you have. No one expects anymore than that.
Also remember...They are learning from other people besides you. It takes a village to raise these kids. Just surround them with good people teaching them good things.
These must be the thoughts of every mother right? How can we not worry and fear and question? I do it so often and doubt way more than I should. I have a brother who left the church in his early teen years and I have seen the trials he has faced because of it and the serious heartbreak of my dear, dear parents. I would never wish that pain on anyone and yet--they endure and love him and accept all of his chosen differences. Because this happened on my own family I am totally sensitive to it and worry about it so much but then I realize my parents also raised 4 other kids who love the Lord and are very committed to His Gospel so that sounds like quite a success. Anyway--I am going on and on--but thanks for voicing your thoughts and reminding us all that everyone struggles through this thing called parenting. It is one seriously intense role :)
Beebs, you rock. You make things sound so wonderful. I too have the same fears. Oh my goodness what will I do if MY child does bad things, or heaven forbid someone does bad things to my child(ren) You cant live your life focusing on the what ifs. I focus on the "what NOW's". Everyday is a gift, and everything my kids do and say is a blessing. I love love love love my kids, and I am so excited about having one more... even though if its a 3rd boy I will pull my hair out and scream. But then I will get used to it, and hope Lily will talk to me. She told me "mommy, this baby BETTER be a girl. I am SOOOOOoooOOOoOOooo DONE with Brothers, PLEASE HELP ME!" haha what a good. Your boys are awesome, so good and so smart.. you are one lucky lady!
Are you sure this line of thinking is not the result of sleep deprivation? hehe:) You are amazing and your kids are lucky to have you! Your oldest is learning valuable lessons from having younger siblings and learning to be part of a family is what helps us to be successful in the world.
I totally agree with the above posts! It's a good thing that God loves us and our kids so much that he hears and answers every prayer - many days around here are spent in constant prayer:) And He answers and lifts and helps me see what's important:) It is awesome to know God's love and to know so many amazing women striving to be all that He would have us be!
Hi, Beebs. I'm posting this so late I don't know if you will see it. But I have two comments. First, we're promised that children born in the covenant will somehow, some way, be ours forever. I have heard it said that it may take time, it may take grief and tears, but that wandering children will find their way back.
Second point: What if you only had one child, and that child rebelled? It seems to me that having many children "buffers" us against despair in hard times.
Anyway. Just some thoughts.
I think that we have to remember that these sweet spirits were specifically saved for these times. It is their time to be here...they are "chosen." There is nothing that they won't be able to handle beyond their ability. But we need to remember that it is their life and if they choose to do something that is different than what we would want, we need to allow them to make that choice...the important thing is to love them and be there for them. Sometimes finding your way in this world is hard. Some need to learn by experience, while others are able to learn from other's experiences.
You are awesome and we love you and your darling family!!!
Post a Comment