Monday, July 7, 2008

Following the Prophet

So my blog was hijacked several months back by my wife. Yep, that's right I (Scott) started this blog and it was such a success that Brittany took it over. Well anyway I occasionally submit a post here or there and today is one of those days.

I am extremely troubled by some of the things I read in the news. Perhaps the thing that troubles me the most right now is the amount of flack that the Lord's Prophet is taking because he "dared" to stand up for the truth by making a statement on the sanctity of marriage as it relates to the California Marriage Amendment. I have read several comments by those who claim to be active LDS members condemning the Prophet. Below is a link to a talk that I think all Latter-day Saints should read.

http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=6751

4 comments:

The Easton Family said...

That's too bad to hear that the Prophet is being criticized. We haven't heard any of that... maybe that's just a blessing(?) of living in Utah that you hear more about what people say. I'm sorry for them. Can't wait to read the article from the link.

ba and the boys said...

interesting talk...i have no problem with the prophet talking out against the marriage issue they are having in callie.
i will admit that wasnt always the case (i have soo many earring holes in my ears and it wasnt until about 11 or 12 years ago that i gained a testimony that made me understand why 1 in each ear is all you need.), and i just hope that maybe their testimony isnt strong enough to handle it. maybe this will be their growing experience that helps them gain what they are lacking.

Missy said...

Here is a great question to ponder:

How many of those critial people go into their temple recommend interview and answer "yes" to the question about supporting their leaders?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall...

Missy

Em said...

I read alot of that article. I agree 100% that what ever the Prophet says is gold. He is not here to tell us what we want to hear. He is here to help get us back to our Heavenly Father and to help us get through these scary times. I had a time when I questioned the Prophet for 7 years and life got worse and worse. Luckily I stoped being so selfish and straightened up and I will Never question are Prophet again.