Friday, March 14, 2008

Easter Ideas

One more post for today.
I am SOOOOO excited for Easter this year. I think Weston is really old enough to grasp the meaning behind Easter, and we have talked so much about resurrection (with grandpa and President Hinckley dying), so this is a really special time. But, I really want to make the holiday more about Christ, without taking out the fun stuff, as well. Has anyone read the ideas from the Ensign??? They were Great! We are going to implement a few things.
We will have our normal search for the basket (does everyone do this, or just us? It was a big thing in my family). We hide the basket (which has some candy and a small toy or two) and the kids have to find it. Then we hid eggs and they must find them. But, this year we are going to have some eggs with pictures of Jesus in them, etc. And one "special" egg that is empty. It is the "grand prize" type thing. Once they find it, we gather around and talk about how it is empty just like the tomb was empty and Christ had been resurrected. Isn't that great?
Then, on Sunday morning, we will head out before the sunrise, and find a nice spot to watch the sun come up. We will talk about Christ and the gospel, etc (a "morning devotional") and I will have a small breakfast (juice and cinnimon rolls, etc).
These were ideas from the Ensign (I think February) that I just loved! What do you think? What do you do to make Easter more about Christ? I want to hear!
And, just a side note--has anyone read the Friend for March? I read two stories and ACTUALLY CRIED!! I am SO not a cryer (sp?). But the story about the boy sharing the eggs with the blind boys, and the story about the girl who's baby brother died really brought out the tears! I think Weston didn't know what to make of me when I started crying. I don't know if he has ever seen me cry.

8 comments:

The Easton Family said...

I cried at that same easter egg story in the friend! We have a set of special easter eggs that we use for a FHE around easter. Each egg has something about the Savior--a small tack to represent the nails, a rock to represent the stone rolled away, soap for repentance, money for the silver Judas got...etc. We open the eggs in order and they tell the story of the last week of Christ's life. It was a RS Homemaking we did a long time ago that I really liked. Let me know, and I can post it or e-mail it to anyone who may want it.

Marne said...

Great ideas Brittany. You are such a good mom! Here is an idea that I found yesterday online that sounds similar to the first poster's. It looks fun and will teach the kids about the Savior.

http://www.timesandseasons.org/?p=2980

Karri said...

Great idea I might have to copy that. You are so cute in the picture below. You do have a good stylist.

ba and the boys said...

if you get up at sunrise eater morning, i better see pictures! (it is a great idea, but love sleep.) good luck with getting anything to sink in other than candy candy candy eggs!

Alison said...

Those are great Easter ideas! You are such a creative mom. How fun to go watch the sunrise. We might have to try that some year when we don't have so much snow on Easter. :) But I love that idea. And you're hair is darling in the picture below! You are two cute sisters!!!

Heidi said...

Hi Brittany! It's Heidi (Scott's cousin you know:) I love your ideas here and I think I am going to do the devotional one on Sunday. We do the hiding the basket thing too and it is a big highlight, but the empty egg is a great idea. I cried in the same story about the baby brother dying. Your blog is great! I don't have a blog, but our website is batesbunch.com and it has tons of pictures and shows our construction. Anway, have a great week and a great Easter. Love, Heidi

Nancy said...

I love your Easter ideas. The story about the mom with the blind kids was soooo sad!!

Alison said...

Hi Britt, I know I already commented but I wanted to tell you to look at Meg's blog on Heather's links. She did an Easter week that focused on the Savior for the week before Easter. You mentioned you were looking for ideas to focus Easter more on the Resurrection. She has some great ideas! (for next year...) :)