Monday, March 31, 2008

Books anyone?

We love to read books, and about a year or so ago, I started reading chapter books with Weston. The first book we read was "Wind in the Willows", then we followed with "James and the Giant Peach", and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" (which helped Weston with his fear of foxes...). We have been reading "Charlotte's Web" and will finish soon. The next book on our list is "Little House on the Praire". We hope to then move to the Narnia books.

I'd love to hear the "chapter" books that you all love and read with your kids. What are your favorites?

10 comments:

Jenni Taysom said...

Way to go - I've only read one chapter book with my boys, "Charlotes Web". I had never read it before, so I enjoyed it. The boys had a hard time with it not being a picture book, they wanted to sit by me to look at the pictures, so often I would read it to them when they were in bed, so they wouldn't be disappointed about the no picture thing. I'm trying to find more chapter books that are more their level, so I'm glad you mentioned some of the other ones you have read, I'll have to give them a try.

Heather said...

After you told me about reading chapter books, I started reading Heidi with the kids. Abe wiggles but seems to sometimes listen. Hannah really likes it. The version we have is a simplified version that has a picture on every page. I really want to read Little House on the Prairie. That is a great one for girls and boys.

The others simplified ones I want to read with Hannah are Anne of Green Gables, Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm, and Pollyanna.

They have some simplified ones at Deseretbook for $2.99 (I can't remember the brand right now). They have black and white pictures but they have The Jungle Book, gulliver's travels, and other ones boys would enjoy.

Karri said...

That's someting I need to be better about with my younger kids. My girls love the mystery books. I can't remember the names of them. I will find out and let you know.

ba and the boys said...

you are so good to do the classics. parker thinks the captian underpants books are hysterical. the diary of a whimpy kid is also a fav. he will start laughing and cant stop sometimes.
you can also ask our librarians. they are smart.

Nancy said...

I love the Little House on the Prairie books. The book "Little Britches" is similar to Little House but about a boy. It is very good, but a little sad. "Pollyanna" is pretty good. I have been getting books from this list of classics for our library to read to our kids. http://www.schoolofabraham.com/gwcchildren.htm

Alison said...

We just started reading chapter books at bedtime and my kids love it. We've read Junie B. Jones (which Lexi loves) and the Flat Stanley chapter books (a little wierd for me.) I've also wanted to read the Little House books. A couple books I think would be good for boys are:

Summer of the Monkeys
Where the Red Fern Grows
Ralph and Motorcycle (or any Beverly Cleary books)

Happy Reading!

Alison said...

I thought of another one... Indian in the Cupboard. I loved those books (I think there are 3 in the series) when I was younger. I'm thinking I read them in 4th grade and I still remember how much I loved them.

Kristin Sokol said...

We just finished the
"The Brothers of Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I think it gave Alyssa a real appreciation for how hard it was to survive in 18th centrury Russia. You might try that one.

Next up is the DaVinci Code. She just loves those Dan Brown books.

EBD said...

What a great question. We have been reading chapter books with our kids for a while too. Some of the ones we have read include:

The Boxcar Children
Indian in the Cupboard (a series of 4)
Charlotte's Web
All the books by Beverly Cleary
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Water Horse

It is so much fun. Logan has loved them from the start. Brianna has just stopped forcing herself to sleep and is starting to enjoy the non-picture books.

I think I am going to make a list from all these other suggestions. They are great! Thanks for the ideas.

Heather said...

Kristin's comment was way too funny. She makes me laugh! These are great suggestions. I hadn't seen all these other comments. Happy reading! and thanks for the great idea. I don't know when I would have thought of it - duh!