Thursday, March 25, 2010

Opinions please

I am considering waiting a year til I put Aidan into Kindergarten. I'd like to get some opinions from ya'll.
He is pretty gosh darn smart--above "entering" kinder levels.
But, he is short--the average size of a 3 year 4 month boy. He'll be 5 in June.
He is getting stronger because of tumbling, so perhaps he be able to keep up with the other kids okay.
He is a very "whatever" kid--go with the flow type child. Things don't really bother him.
Will he feel bad that we "kept him back"? Will he be bored if we wait and he is really ahead of the other kids? Will it really matter?

5 comments:

Ali Garner said...

Kyle was kept back and did great! I was skipped ahead and look what happened to me. I think your choice is clear . . .

Megan B ♥ said...

It's hard to say. I've seen it go both ways and work out great. One thing that he will have to his advantage is that he will be 16, dating, driving before most of his classmates, and that CAN be a cooooool thing. Better than being one of the last ones, for sure. Good luck on this decision. These kinds give me ulcers.

That Girl said...

I've actually been toying with this same idea of waiting to start Ry in Kindergarden simply due to size. He's above average in the academics area, as well, and I don't want him to be bored in school. However, he also LOVES sports and I almost feel another year of growth will help him out with that. He's on the younger side (by just a tad) of his class, and is one of the smaller kids on his soccer team.

I think you can always supplement with school work so they don't get bored, but it might be harder with sports, if he's into that, when it comes to jr. high and high school.

Good luck with your decision.

Jennie Brown Stephens said...

Thats a tough one!! I contemplated holding Lily back in pre school another year. Since she turned 5 the very end of august, and with school being year round where we used to live, she was FOUR when she started kindergarten. So I had mixed thoughts. I talked with her teacher in pre school, and the kindergarten staff and all of them felt academically Lily was AWESOME. She was reading, writing and socially PERFECT. Now she is in 1st grade, reads at a 5th grade level and is doing GREAT! Just because your little man is a little sprout, he will be fine. There are LOTS of little sprouts out there!!

Lawrence Clan said...

We waited with Gharrett, he will be 6 in May and start kindergarten in August. I don't think it hurts to wait especially with boys then they are a little more mature and can sit still better.. ha ha! My husbands grandma was a teacher and she said especially with boys it's always good to wait.. so that was what we did. It's basically up to you though.. good luck :0)