I started thinking last night of all of the things--just things--that I need to do, worry about, fix, schedule, etc, etc, etc. The list is long. Here is a bit of it:
floss teeth teach kids FHE individual scrips family scrips dental appointments food storage exercise prepare meals be healthy serve others be a nice neighbor work on family relationships not yell at kids clean house make home improvements know about which carpet is the right one to buy make toy bags keep toys cleaned up throw away old stuff keep bad media out of home make bread laundry read with kids pay attention to baby so he doesn't fall down stairs be prepared for emergencies keep up on journaling/blogging prepare scouts scouts in my house once a week!! organize filing pay bills remind kids to wash hands after the bathroom... vacuum the house dust blinds get rid of old moldy fruit drive kids to school change diapers grocery shopping library visit family family vacations add salt to water softener update photos of kids/family support husband kiss ouchies take stuff to DI help with homework buy new clothes repair old clothes shovel snow haircuts
Just a bit of what we do daily, right? So, how do we do it all????? How do I accomplish all I am supposed to do? Feel like I am on top of things? Not get overwhelmed?
Two things I am going to work on: Eliminate. I will eliminate things that I don't need to be doing (checking facebook daily... come on, girl! that is just silly!)
and
Schedule. Schedule the normal things and stick to that schedule. I am convinced that scheduling would make life so much easier. If it is routine, I'd do it better, right?
Any ideas from any of you?
9 comments:
I think a simple list works the best. Each night make a list of all you want to accomplish the next day, and then prioritize that list. Then Chip away an item at a time. At the end of the day see whats left and add it to the next day. As long as you prioritize you will always get the most important things done. Good Luck! Limit your facebook and blogger stuff to specific times and time limits. Then use utilities to make them quicker like google reader.
Well, first of all...NOT checking facebook daily??! Where is your head, girl?! In all seriousness though, as long as my kids are safe, fed, and have clean clothes to wear, the pets are alive, and I take a shower each day, I feel like I'm accomplishing a lot!! I think we need to learn to more gentle with ourselves, and applaud ourselves for the things we DO get done each day! :)
Here's a question to divert your attention... why does everyone in Utah want soft water? I've never understood that one. It always feels like it takes about 20 minutes to rinse the soap off my body every time I come to visit. One of those great quanderies, I guess! good luck with your list. Made me start to worry more about mine... :)
Love it. And just remember that the time spent with your kids (even time spent changing diapers) is the most important time there is.
I came down to those same two ideas except my exact words were - simplify and plan - I guess the Spirit is trying to get a message to those of us who are overwhelmed and over tasked.
oh soft water - it bugs sometimes like when you happen to drink it - but I SO LOVE IT! cleaning is 1,000 easier.
anyhoo... yes, life and tasks and all the mothering/wife/calling stuff does get overwhelming.
i'm not a big list person. one day i put like 3 or 4 things on my list and the day was so wacko and i didn't even do one. and i thought they were realistic when i wrote the list. sigh...
but i'm like you - that i know having a good schedule and setting priorities does help things go more smoothly and at least help you know you are getting some stuff done.... after all cleaning out moldly fruit is important too! :)
good luck. i wish i had more ideas, but I'm afraid i'm in the same boat. this month I can hardly do anything extra and I'm just working on survival for us all... food, baths, some cleaning, laundry (speaking of, better go start a load so jimmy has clean socks).
Good luck! and sorry for the long pointless comment.
Oh man--that list of things covers it all! We do so much as mothers--we are amazing ;)
I do think that schedules are lifesavers in the crazy world of family life. Just like you said--do what is on the schedule and eliminate the extras that aren't on it. But do add in something just to keep you sane each day (even if it is 10 mins for Facebook :)
i agree with callie-not checking fb is just wrong!
take a few moments for you, that makes everything better. i workout 5 days a week and nap around 2 for 30 mins and my days feel so much better! your kids are good boys so dont stress the small stuff.
and know your heavenly father loves you! that makes everything better!
I so hear you--and agree with what everyone else says. Unfortunately I don't even shower every day, nor do my kids get bathed every day....Hmmm. You came up with the right plan for sure. But how do we stop just wanting to always be doing MORE...
Post a Comment