Sunday, February 15, 2009

State of the World

I am rather troubled about the world, society, and raising my child in this world. I was watching a devotional and Elder Maynes of the Seventy read from Alma 30 about Korihor--comparing what he was teaching to what is taught in the world today. The scriptures say,

"Korihor... began to preach unto the people that there should be no Christ... But behold, it is the effect of a frenzied mind; and this derangement of your minds comes because of the traditions of your fathers, which lead you away into a belief of things which are not so. And manhy more such things did he say unto them, telling them that there could be no atonement made for the sins of men, but every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength; and whatsoever a man did was no crime."

This is what is being taught today by society--we are successful because of our own strength, our brains, and we can manipulate and justifying the rules and need to obey those, or that they apply to us, etc.
I think a lot of it comes down to responsibility. "That is what people are afraid of!"
Elder Boyd K. Packer in April 1996 General Conference said,

"A resistance to anything that limits one's conduct has almost taken over society. Our whole social order could self-destruct over the obsession with freedom disconnected from responsibility where choice is imaginied to be somehow independent of consequences."
We all need to make choices remembering that there will be consequences. Maybe not immediately, but there will be consequences. And then, once we have made our choice, we must own up to it and if it was a bad choice--we take the responsibility of the consequences of that choice!

Done with my soapbox.... for now.

8 comments:

Marne said...

I love Pres Packer's quote Beebs. Thanks for sharing. It is so true what you said, and the only constant force right now is the Gospel.

The Easton Family said...

I'll stand with you on your soapbox... my calling is to teach gospel doctrine, and last year teaching the book of Mormon, I wanted to yell at everyone--"Can't you see us doing the same things!!!???" I just had to look at it as a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel, and keep trying to follow the Prophet so as to be as safe as we can in our family.

angela said...

I'm so with you. I have heard disturbing things lately and had some conversations, and it's crazy how badly people want to believe in eat, drink and be merry...

Kristin Sokol said...

Here, here! send that to Washington and all the greedy bank executives.

Ali Garner said...

True, Beebs. Every night when I read my scriptures (Book of Mormon) there is somthing that makes me think of the last days. Scary! But we have all the knowledge we need, words from the prophets, etc. We just have to do it!

The Selleneits said...

Thanks for sharing and I agree with kristen.

Karri said...

So true! Thanks for sharing

ba and the boys said...

it is funny how we can always apply the scriptures to what is going on in our lives.
isnt that wonderful!?