Thursday, February 12, 2009

Statistics

I read this little piece years ago in a book by Chieko Okazaki "Aloha" and have loved it! I used it for my statistics class once--we had to share an example of statistics in life. Just remember folks, don't believe everything you hear!

"Nearly all sick people have eaten carrots. Obviously, the effects are cumulative.
An estimated 99.9 percent of all people who die from cancer and ruptured appendix have eaten carrots.
Another 99.9 percent of people involved in auto accidents ate carrots within 60 days of the incident.
Some 93.1 percent of gang members come from homes where carrots were frequently served.
Among the people born in 1839 who later dined on carrots, there has been a 100 percent mortality rate.
Studies have shown, based on recent laboratory tests, that rats who were fed 500 pounds of carrots per day died within 3 weeks.
Many bunnies have been examined post-mortem and were found to have eaten carrots.
All surviving carrot eaters born between 1900 and 1910 have wrinkled skin, brittle bones, few if any of their own teeth, and failing eyesight.
Virtually all peopl who experience depression for at least 45 minutes a week are known to have eaten carrots sometime during their life."
(Hope Healthletter 12 [January 1992]: 1)

Great, isn't it? Beware the carrot everybody. It is out to get us!

3 comments:

ba and the boys said...

that is why parker is so healthy-he refuses to eat ANY veggies!

Callie said...

I love it! There has to be an analogy to go along with it...I am curious what the author says after all the "facts"....

The Easton Family said...

Brittany, you're awesome! I miss you so much sometimes!