I took Aidan in for his EEG and MRI, and today I got the results. He has just had the one seizure, but they wanted to check to see if the tests would show they he could have more episodes or not. One reason they are cautious is because Aidan's left side of his body is slightly weaker than his right side. I noticed when he was a baby that his right nostril and right lip were slightly bigger than the left. I asked the doctor about it, he said we would need to wait and see. It isn't very noticeable (I bet most of you didn't know, but if you go back and look at pics of him, you may see it, too). But, I didn't want it to become a problem in the future. I kept being aware of everything, and by the time he was ready to crawl, I noticed he did most of the work on his right side, and was already using only his right hand (you are not supposed to be able to tell "handedness" until about 18 months old), and so I got him into physical therapy. Although he really isn't too far behind, he does still favor his right side--going up steps ONLY right footed, weaker if he tries to go up on the left foot, etc. So, because of this, we wanted to make sure there wasn't a difference in the brain sizes on each side, etc. The MRI shows that all is normal. The EEG shows there is abnormalities in the left frontal area. They really don't think there is a connection between this and his left side weakness. But the results do show that there could be (just could be, not necessarily that there willl be) more seizure episodes. But, because of the normal MRI, they think it is something that he will grow out of. So, really this is good news. We are not going to put him on medication, though we could if we felt so. We do have "rescue medicine" (if he has a seizure that lasts longer than 5 minutes, and there are no paramedics on the way, we give it to him. It only costs over 300$... and that is with insurance taking 400$ish). If he does have another seizure then we probably will put him on medicine. We just wait and see if that happens. He is a happy wonderful sweet child. We are so glad that there is good news to share, and pray that all continues to go well.
This is early in the morning (4 am!!!) before the EEG.
With all the "probes" on his head.
And here he is with his "buddy" before his MRI. He wasn't at all happy about the IV they put in his arm. Poor guy. But now he is all smiles. (the EEG and MRI were supposed to be on the same day, but the day before, they called to say the MRI machine was broken, so we had to do it on two different days.)
14 comments:
Great news Brittany! I'm glad he survived all the tests. What a hard 2 days that must have been.
So glad to hear everything went well...it really sounds like very good news. What a sweet little guy.
I'm so glad that things went well. What a brave boy! Glad that you're seeing well, too. Man, as soon as I have any money . . .
So glad everything will hopefully be alright! Cute little Aidan is such a trooper to endure through that. And congrats on your eyes! I bet that is so nice to be able to see with no contacts or glasses. You're gorgeous, even in those big black sunglasses! (Way cute shirt!)
Oh my gosh Brittany! I am so glad to hear that there is good news! Aidan is such a cute little guy... and so brave! I will keep him and your family in my prayers!
We're so glad Aidan is ok, and I think you're smart to wait on the meds. Too bad the rescue meds are so expensive. I can't wait to see you and Scott and the boys in a week!!!!!
What a trooper! I rememeber when Lily got a EEG, when she was a baby because one side of her body would randomly shake... she did NOT like those probes! Aidan rocks!!
About the name Janet.... it is actually pretty high on the list. So we shall see! I am making such a deal about girl names.. watch it be a boy!! haha!
i love the mummy photo!
I'm happy to hear the good news Brittany! I hope he doesn't have any more seizures, poor little guy! It's just not fair! We love little Aidan. We're glad he's okay.
i remember you talking about the nostril thing. i am so sorry your little guy is going through all this so young. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers and hope the seizures don't come back.
I'm so glad that everything's okay. I've been thinking about you and your cute family. Cute pictures, he is such a cutie!
That does not sound like fun, but I am so glad he is doing ok. Let me know if you need anything.
Good news!! I bet you are glad to be done with the tests. How stressful! You are an amazing mom.
I am glad for the good news. We sure do love that silly boy.
Post a Comment