The weather has been so strange this year. For some reason there was a lot of talk that it was going to be this horrendous winter, and it started cold, and snow came. But then it has just warmed up! We got a free ski pass for Weston, once to each ski resort, but because there hasn't been much snow, they have only been able to go twice! I hope they will get a few more times in! Soott was able to take both Aidan and Weston though and they are getting better and better (and they enjoy it).
Scott took the vacation time to do some "improvements" on the house. And he did a marvelous job! Since our lightbulbs are so high and our fire alarm in unreachable, we rented scaffolding so we could change the lightbulbs and battery (we put in a lithium battery which should last 10 years...), we figured we should make it worth the money to rent it, so we put up some decorations on our tall walls. We ended up putting a dividing board and above it put three big boxes (of board) and in each box put a pretty metal decoration. We also put up the same thing on the wall above our dining room. I think it is different, without being strange, and it really helps out our big blank walls... Not so boring. I am so proud that I have such a handy husband.
After a nice and relaxing Christmas break (for me at least...), we had to get back to school. Aidan has been studying the middle ages, and so they got to have a medieval market where they made objects and sold them to each other. He made paper swords and hats. Then they had a feast and got to dress up like a knights, etc. He looked very regal and took the shield that Weston had used years ago for his King Arthur presentation (I love to reuse!). They got to eat chicken on the bone and have some other fun activities. Aidan has also been studying for his AIM (Achievement in Music) test coming up. As the teacher teaches him the theory, I sit at their feet and learn as well. I am loving it and really expanding my knowledge of the hows and whys of piano (I can now tell you what key a song it written in!). He will do marvelous.
Brennan has been studying about the body and can name several bones. He is also becoming a whiz at math and reading. He loves to read nightly and has been reading a lot of Little Critter and Curious George books. Because he read so many books in December and upped his reading level he received the prestigious award in Reading University at the school. It was so fun to see him receive his award. I am proud of his hard work. He is also rocking Karate class and loves to practice with his friend Luke at home.
Elise also practicing Tumbling with Halle and is finally able to do an "arch up" and keep her head off the ground for 10 seconds. She has passed off handstand as well. Of course her big news this month is that she is FIVE YEARS OLD! And it wasn't just one day of celebration, it went on and on. We started with a friend party that may have gotten out of hand... She chose the theme La La Loopsy. Don't know what it is? Neither did I! They are dolls that are "sewn" and have button eyes--really cute actually. So I tried to think of ideas for activities for the girls and settled on felt dolls. It really wasn't that hard, but it did take some trial and error. I cut out a beige colored outline of a doll, and then made a bunch of different dresses that the girls could choose (they got to choose three each). Then I had some ribbon, rickrack, buttons, flowers, etc that they could choose to decorated the dresses. They could also choose hair--several different tops of head in multiple colors and then different add ons to the hair--braids, curls, etc. Every single doll was different. They even got shoes for feet and bows for hair. While I glued everything together, a cute clown entertained them. He is BoBo the Clown and he is a 9 year old that lives nearby. He was so much fun. He made a giant balloon hat for Elise and then made each kid a balloon animal. He did some magic tricks and read them a fun book. He even rode the unicycle for them. So cute and the kids loved it. Then the girls broke a pinata and ate button cupcakes and opened presents. Ah, what a fun day!
We then had a family party for her and went out to eat at Culvers. I made a giant cookie (which was divine if you want the recipe or just google "swig cookie recipe", but I add almond flavoring). Norma and Elaine joined us and gave her a giant pink unicorn which has quickly become the favorite toy. Mom Daw had come earlier and got her a Barbie car (she loves it... of course!). And she got some cute clothes from me (target sale!) and other fun toys. I can't believe how quickly she grows up, and yet stays the same silly girl.
Scott also had a birthday and mostly he got things to finish the basement (yea, it is getting finished!). But, I also got him a inside grill which will be nice. I would have taken him snowshoeing but I hurt my neck (big surprise) and their isn't much snow in the mountains. It is nice to be the same age as he, if only for a few months.
Weston started reading the Book of Mormon again and wants to finish it (again) by the time he turns twelve. He also has the goal to read the New Testament. He has also been reading the Chronicles of Prydain and loves them. It is fun because his teacher doesn't know about them (??? Can you believe it???) and so he gets to tell his teacher all about them. He has had several papers that he has been working on: Pisces constellation, Russian Religion, and Gerald Ford. He is getting ready to move into Junior High! He also got a kendama (they are all the rage right now) and although it broke after a day, he became very good at it. Hopefully he will replace it soon.
I have been busy with normal everyday life (I think I say that every month). I did get a visit from an "old friend", Karen Gray Rowe. We were friends when I lived at Janets. She is a wonderful friend, and she happens to know Kim and Val as well! She lived in their ward in Germany for awhile. (Small world!) I have signed up to take a class on Health Nutrition, and I am studying piano with Aidan... so we are all trying to improve ourselves! One month down of the year, doing well, I'd say!
Scott took the vacation time to do some "improvements" on the house. And he did a marvelous job! Since our lightbulbs are so high and our fire alarm in unreachable, we rented scaffolding so we could change the lightbulbs and battery (we put in a lithium battery which should last 10 years...), we figured we should make it worth the money to rent it, so we put up some decorations on our tall walls. We ended up putting a dividing board and above it put three big boxes (of board) and in each box put a pretty metal decoration. We also put up the same thing on the wall above our dining room. I think it is different, without being strange, and it really helps out our big blank walls... Not so boring. I am so proud that I have such a handy husband.
After a nice and relaxing Christmas break (for me at least...), we had to get back to school. Aidan has been studying the middle ages, and so they got to have a medieval market where they made objects and sold them to each other. He made paper swords and hats. Then they had a feast and got to dress up like a knights, etc. He looked very regal and took the shield that Weston had used years ago for his King Arthur presentation (I love to reuse!). They got to eat chicken on the bone and have some other fun activities. Aidan has also been studying for his AIM (Achievement in Music) test coming up. As the teacher teaches him the theory, I sit at their feet and learn as well. I am loving it and really expanding my knowledge of the hows and whys of piano (I can now tell you what key a song it written in!). He will do marvelous.
Brennan has been studying about the body and can name several bones. He is also becoming a whiz at math and reading. He loves to read nightly and has been reading a lot of Little Critter and Curious George books. Because he read so many books in December and upped his reading level he received the prestigious award in Reading University at the school. It was so fun to see him receive his award. I am proud of his hard work. He is also rocking Karate class and loves to practice with his friend Luke at home.
Elise also practicing Tumbling with Halle and is finally able to do an "arch up" and keep her head off the ground for 10 seconds. She has passed off handstand as well. Of course her big news this month is that she is FIVE YEARS OLD! And it wasn't just one day of celebration, it went on and on. We started with a friend party that may have gotten out of hand... She chose the theme La La Loopsy. Don't know what it is? Neither did I! They are dolls that are "sewn" and have button eyes--really cute actually. So I tried to think of ideas for activities for the girls and settled on felt dolls. It really wasn't that hard, but it did take some trial and error. I cut out a beige colored outline of a doll, and then made a bunch of different dresses that the girls could choose (they got to choose three each). Then I had some ribbon, rickrack, buttons, flowers, etc that they could choose to decorated the dresses. They could also choose hair--several different tops of head in multiple colors and then different add ons to the hair--braids, curls, etc. Every single doll was different. They even got shoes for feet and bows for hair. While I glued everything together, a cute clown entertained them. He is BoBo the Clown and he is a 9 year old that lives nearby. He was so much fun. He made a giant balloon hat for Elise and then made each kid a balloon animal. He did some magic tricks and read them a fun book. He even rode the unicycle for them. So cute and the kids loved it. Then the girls broke a pinata and ate button cupcakes and opened presents. Ah, what a fun day!
We then had a family party for her and went out to eat at Culvers. I made a giant cookie (which was divine if you want the recipe or just google "swig cookie recipe", but I add almond flavoring). Norma and Elaine joined us and gave her a giant pink unicorn which has quickly become the favorite toy. Mom Daw had come earlier and got her a Barbie car (she loves it... of course!). And she got some cute clothes from me (target sale!) and other fun toys. I can't believe how quickly she grows up, and yet stays the same silly girl.
Scott also had a birthday and mostly he got things to finish the basement (yea, it is getting finished!). But, I also got him a inside grill which will be nice. I would have taken him snowshoeing but I hurt my neck (big surprise) and their isn't much snow in the mountains. It is nice to be the same age as he, if only for a few months.
Weston started reading the Book of Mormon again and wants to finish it (again) by the time he turns twelve. He also has the goal to read the New Testament. He has also been reading the Chronicles of Prydain and loves them. It is fun because his teacher doesn't know about them (??? Can you believe it???) and so he gets to tell his teacher all about them. He has had several papers that he has been working on: Pisces constellation, Russian Religion, and Gerald Ford. He is getting ready to move into Junior High! He also got a kendama (they are all the rage right now) and although it broke after a day, he became very good at it. Hopefully he will replace it soon.
I have been busy with normal everyday life (I think I say that every month). I did get a visit from an "old friend", Karen Gray Rowe. We were friends when I lived at Janets. She is a wonderful friend, and she happens to know Kim and Val as well! She lived in their ward in Germany for awhile. (Small world!) I have signed up to take a class on Health Nutrition, and I am studying piano with Aidan... so we are all trying to improve ourselves! One month down of the year, doing well, I'd say!
No comments:
Post a Comment