Thursday, December 24, 2009

Traditions, traditions!

We have lots of Christmas traditions, but I wanted to write down a few I heard of this year that I would love to do--at least some day...
The night the Christmas tree is put up and decorated, my friend and her family all sleep "under the tree". Isn't that fun? I would probably sneak up to my bed, but the kids could stay on the floor.
An international dinner--each person brings some traditional food from another country. So cool! (I would love to celebrate Three Kings Day/Epiphany on January 6th, but it is my husband's birthday, so we never do. But that has some fun traditions--cake with a toy hidden inside... etc.)
A gingerbread decorating contest between siblings and their families. It could get soooo fun and so competitive--but in a good way, right?
Exchanging white elephant gifts as a family--funny things. On that same note, I hear of people who go to "ugliest Christmas sweater" parties. Now that could be fun.
Anybody else has something really fun?

2 comments:

ba and the boys said...

my family always had 7 fish (well, at least seafood) dishes for good luck. it is an italian tradition. i dont carry that on because there arent 7 fish/seafood dishes that i like.but it does bring back many memories.

That Girl said...

Being that my mom is from Guatemala, we have tamales and open presents on Christmas Eve. Of course, Santa still comes while kids are little to open Christmas morning, but as a teenager it was AWESOME to open gifts the night before and then sleep in and just chill the next day.