Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

Every Sunday during sunday school and relief society, I have all these great thoughts and I always say, "I am going to blog this..." and then I never do. I am finally going to do this, but about Stake Conference. First off, all you folks who don't go to the adult session on Saturday night, you are crazy! Time without kids to just sit and listen and not be poked and prodded and stopping fights and getting up to take kids to the potty-- and you aren't going??? It was so nice!
The theme for our Stake Conference was "Envisioning Eternity". I like that. We don't often envision it, what "eternal life" will be like, yet that is what we are trying to reach. Of course lots of the talks were about families, cause that it what it is all about! One of my favorite quotes was from Elder Wirthlin's talk (May 93), that said, "If Satan can weaken or destroy the loving relationships among members of families, he can cause more misery and more unhappiness for more people than he could in any other way." Obviously, Satan is going to try and destroy our relationships with our family. Our Stake President gave a great talk this morning. He told about how Satan uses CHAOS to distrupt our lives. Some of the "weapons" he uses to make our lives chaotic are: Noise--what is the source of noise in our lives? Media, harsh voice, etc. Look to the Savior to eliminate the noise! Like He calmed the sea, He can calm our lives. Selfishness --When we are less concerned for others. We need to pray for opportunities to serve. Worldly Concerns -- We must filter the chaos and worldy things that are around us and don't let it be introduced into our family. Apathy towards Gospel -- Is the church here to serve you or should you serve the church? How can you further the work of the Lord?

Another quote I love is Elder Nelson (May 08) "salvation is an individual matter; exaltation is a family matter". As a family, we must work together to achieve our goal.

And, I didn't get who said it, and I don't know the exact quote, but it went something like: "We know the Lord will win the war, the question is, who's side will you be on in the end?" If anybody knows where that came from, please let me know, so I can get the quote right. Anyway, I liked it! I hope we are on the Lord's side!

Random thoughts, but it has made me think and want to be better and love my kids more!

3 comments:

Marne said...

Great thoughts Brittany. I love those quotes and ideas. And I agree with you...people who don't go to the adult meeting miss the best part of Stake Conference!

Callie said...

I've been thinking a lot about what you shared today, especially after doing our bills! It is so true how Satan distracts us with chaos, but not something we necessarily associate together...
We need to be reminded of that, so when chaotic moments occur (as they often do) we can recognize it and remedy it. Thanks for sharing, sounds like it was a great conference!

Alison said...

Thank you for posting this Brittany! Those are such great things to think about...trying to lessen the chaos and keep our family relationships strong. Thanks for sharing and boosting me up!

Love your new living room color! Looks very nice.

And Weston looks so cute on his first day of school! So grown up and handsome.