After a wonderful winter break, reality set it and we were thrown back into the cruel world of school, work, and the daily grind. Brennan had a project over the break (argh...) about his ancestry as he learned about Ellis Island and people immigrating to the United Sates. They did a mock Ellis Island where the kids went through the same kind of things immigrants might have gone through (doctor's check up, people speaking in a language you don't understand, etc). Fun activity for them all. He has also been learning all about the digestive system. The greatest news with Brennan is that he has a new scout leader: ME! I was released from Young Women (quite a surprise) and now I get to be the Wolf Leader. The new program seems to be much easier. I am very excited. And hopefully so is he.
Scott celebrated his last birthday in the 30's. For his cake I got him six different kinds of ice cream... Nice! We each had a bite of every kind (to see what was the best). He got "toys" for his ironman training. Which he is really doing well at. He runs or bikes for about 2 hours daily and then swims a time or two a week. What a perfect year for him to do an ironman. Finish off his 30s being a superhero. We went snowshoeing together for his birthday (it has become a yearly tradition). He is also busy with work and 11 year old scouts (he only had ONE scout for January!).
Elise shares a birthday month with Scott and I must admit I spent a lot more time on her birthday parties than his party. She had a friend party and I stewed about what to have as a "theme". We have already done so many and mostly what she wanted was Barbie or Glamour type. Then we realized that we have never done a Fairy party! And with the new dress from Auntie Ali she looked like a fairy, so we knew it was the right choice. I researched and came up with the idea to have the girls make a fairy garden. I found little wooden houses for one dollar each, and I already had little gems, mossy stuff, flowers, etc. I came across a recipe for "fairy playdough" several months ago, so I made that for each girl and they could use some of it to put around the house to decorate with the gems, etc. They got to paint the house and sprinkle glitter on everything. Then I found darling little fairies for really cheap. As the girls arrived at the party they each received a Fairy Name (google fairy name generator) --Elise's name was Chanter Rainbowfrost. Then we painted the houses and while they were drying they played a game with balloons. Then they decorated the garden. It was rather crazy trying to help them all paint and not make huge messes, but they loved it (one girl even said it was the funnest party ever). It is nice to know I don't have to spend tons of money (really, it wasn't too expensive since I had so much of it already) and didn't have to come up with tons of games, yet they had fun. I decorated cupcakes really cute for the treat and they ate, opened presents and it was over! Whew. Another party done.
Fortunately for her party with the family on her actual birthday, I had help. Mom came! She helped me decorate a Fairy Garden Cake and also painted and added cute stuff to Hilary's bear house that she gave Elise (and Elise loves--especially all the new additions!). Hilary was able to come for the party, and Scott's parents, too. Scott's brother Cam and his new fiancee came as well. For her dinner she wanted "Pizzeria Limone" (my favorite, but kind of expensive Pizza restaurant). So, she got a pizza from there and the rest of us had cheap pizza. Her big present this year was a new bike. Her last bike was SOOOOO small for her, and this new one the seat is set as high as it can go... But any bigger and she would have had a bigger bike than Brennan. It was a great birthday and we love our new six year old (I can't believe it has been six years since I had a baby!). She is doing great in school and loving life.
It was so fun having mom here for a few days. We spent some great time doing projects and shopping. She is so fun to shop with, though I ended up buying nothing, I did convince her to buy several darling shirts... They kids loved spending time with her. And I especially loved our trip to the Provo City Center Temple. It is a beautiful temple. And although I had already gone with Scott (he got to go when all the people who worked went to the temple --since he has a client that worked on it), it was great to see it all again. The detail that they put into it to make it special is amazing and awesome.
Aidan and Brennan had the Pinewood Derby this month. They both did wonderfully well (I think Brennan got 4th), but mostly had a great time planning out and making their cars. Aidan is such an easy going child and doesn't let much bother him. I am constantly amazed by him and his ability to let things that are annoying to most people just slide off him. He is very studious and has been doing wonderfully in school. He just finished the book "The Great Brain" and we are all reading "Charlotte's Web" together.
Weston had his first away tournament down in Mesquite over Martin Luther King Day. Although it wasn't our first choice for a place to go for a weekend getaway, it wasn't horrid. We actually stayed in St. George in a really small hotel room and then just drove to Mesquite for the games. We got down there on a Thursday night and Scott and Weston went early the next morning to a very early game. We met up with them later for a game in the afternoon. Weston played well. They won one of the three games, so no going onto finals, but we were ok with that since it meant we could head home a day early. We did hang out with some friends on the team on Friday night and then Saturday night we all hung out at an arcade place. I was having back problems and just didn't feel good. So Weston stayed there with his friends and we went back to the little hotel. Sunday we packed up and headed home and along the way found a church so we could attend Sacrament Meeting. It was really nice to be able to still have Monday to unpack and play before the kids had to go back to school. We are proud of Weston and his hard work on this soccer team. He is so interested in doing different sports so we will see what he does next. He is doing marvelous in school--all A's and one A- this past term. He is also finding ways to be helpful around the house and once made dad and I a special little dinner. Sweetheart!
Looking forward to a busy February, full of love and kisses!
No comments:
Post a Comment