Scott began the year at 36 and six days later turned 37. Old man. I made him a delicious coconut cake (I love trying new recipes and this was great and easy: Bake one yellow cake mix, as directed, in a 9×13 inch dish. While cooling, make
holes all over the surface of the cake. Mix one 15 ounce can of Cream of coconut
with one large can of sweetened condensed milk and pour all over the top of the
cake. When cool, ice cake with whipped cream or Cool Whip. Refrigerate.) Not very good for you (though I actually left out the sweetened condensed milk), but, eh, it is a birthday, what would be good for you? The kids gave him nutrition bars, and I gave him a picture of a model airplane so he could go buy one to make and fly around. But, instead, he decided to buy a new road bike. Oh well, I am ok with that. We did go snowshoeing together to celebrate and had a lovely time up in the mountains away from everything.
Brennan received a present at Christmas to use this month: Cookie College. There is a cute local bakery "Naborhood Bakery" that does a cookie college for little kids. It is pretty cheap ($15) and it is exactly what Brennan would love to do. He got a tour of the bakery and got to see all of the big mixers and huge bags of flour. He even got to go inside their huge freezer! The rotating oven was really neat, too. Then they washed their hands and got to roll our their own dough (a good pound of dough) and cut shapes with a variety of cookie cutters. He made an army of gingerbread looking men and a few other fun shapes. Then, as they cooked, he got to eat a lunch from the bakery (corn dog...). Then they got three different colors of frosting and some candies and sprinkles to decorate the cookies. Once he was done, he ceremoniously received a diploma declaring his completion of Cookie College. This was so much fun for him and he was so inspired that he has decided to hold a cookie college for neighborhood kids this summer. It will be lots of fun for us and the kids!
I got to get away for a few days, but to be surrounded by tons of young men and women at Youth Conference. Although I missed my kids and spouse terribly, I actually had a great time getting to know the girls and leaders. We did some fun things-- John Bytheway spoke, snowshoeing or cross country skiing, and a dance (which I was all over--someone had to get the girls dancing...). I also taught a class on dance etiquette, and it was a success. I made a fun slideshow that talked about important things to remember (hygiene, how to ask a person to dance, etc) and I took up the cardboard cutout of Scott and taught them how to dance... It was so much fun. I was happy to get back to my kids though. And Scott took care of the kids and the house so well!
And just as soon as I got back, we had Elise's friend birthday party. She invited her best friend Halle, her cousin Hallie, her cousin Adrianne and her friend Phoebe. Elise really wanted a Barbie party--she kept saying "I want a Barbie birthday". I, of course, have never had Barbie's, or anything like it and am baffled! I tried to dissuade her, even using bribes! But, to no avail, she was set on a Barbie Birthday! So, we went shopping to look for Barbie decorations, etc, but could find nothing (thank goodness!). So, we discussed it, and somehow I finally figured out that she really didn't care too much that it was a Barbie themed party, as long as she received Barbie's as presents! Well, I can live with that as long as I don't have to give her the Barbie... I couldn't stop her friends from giving them to her. :) So, we ended up having a Minnie Mouse Boutique party. The girls came and all wore fancy clothes and we made bracelets and necklaces. Then we painted nails and watched a Barbie show, and then we ended with opening presents and eating Minnie Mouse shaped rice krispy treats (Scott made them!) with cute bows on them (I made them their own hair bows that look similar to Minnie's). Usually parties are over much sooner than I anticipate, so I made this only an hour long (there were only 4 girls!), but the time flew by and we had to really cram everything in there. It was kind of a whirlwind, but it all worked out and they had a great time.
We had a nice family party for her on the night of her birthday. I made a scrumptious cake that had strawberry puree in it, and a whip cream/white chocolate topping. She received some great gifts--a new little table for her room that I painted yellow and Omi painted little flowers on it, a Barbie and horse from Grandma Tracey, a Minnie Mouse book/toys from Omi, and some dress up dolls and stuffed animal from Norma and Elaine (who were invited of course). The boys each gave her something as well. They love her so much. She is pretty spoiled by their love. It was a great day and we are so happy our little girl is growing up so well.
Aidan and Weston had the spelling bee and did well. Aidan was fourth runner up in his class, but both did stupendous. Weston had a "5th Grade Ambassador Event"--their school has these every other month or so where they learn manners, what to do in social situations, etc. Weston also received Reader of the month. He has been reading all of the Lemony Snicket books, Keith Oppel (Firewing), and lots more. And Aidan loves reading Jigsaw Jones Mysteries. Aidan also won his class geography bee. He has a knack for knowing and remembering all those things. I am proud of my boys and the hard work they are putting into their education.
They also put a lot of work and effort into making their pinewood derby cars. Weston made a shapely black car while Aidan's was a sleek red one. They both did well, though I think the scoring was strange and the officials made a few mistakes. Aidan did get third! And his enthusiasm was awesome. I have never seen someone to excited to win something! Oddly, the leaders gave a "loser" prize. I didn't think that was a good decision. Aidan got the "grease lightning" award, and Weston's was the "best looking". Brennan and Elise didn't want to be left out of the fun, so they each made a car. They ran the "banana" race--a race they let the little kids run after the pinewood derby is done. Brennan's yellow car zoomed down! Elise made a pink car (without wheels) and she didn't want to run the banana race, she ran the "raspberry" race--just a name she made up... They all had a great time.
Hope you are all doing well. Much love to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment