Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 2011

October is supposed to mean the end of summer and the sight of winter coming, but instead we have had such great weather.  We have kept getting more produce from the garden and have made tons more spaghetti sauce (and passed on the recipe to 3 more people who have bottled their own--Val it is all because of you!).  My neighbor also gave me three more buckets of apples and we made 5 more apple pie fillings and some fresh apple juice (thanks to Hilary's juicer!).  Just the other night we had the most amazing fresh apple sorbet that we want to make next year.  Amazing!  I found this recipe for some:  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-and-Honey-Sorbet/Detail.aspx

October also brought us to the end of soccer.  The boys did so well this year.  Weston has a great coach and team, and many of them are at school with him so he gets to practice every recess.  He is one of the high scorers on the team.  He really understands the game.  He also loves football right now and loves to watch the games with his dad and grandpa.

He is enjoying third grade.  He has really high scores and completes all his work at school so he never has homework.  I am the room mother this year so I put on the "Fall Party" (not a Halloween party because the teacher doesn't like Halloween...)--and we made it a "Minute to Win It" party and the kids LOVED it!  It was a huge success.  I had ten or so different games available and each kid chose one--they loved to watch each other and cheer each other on.  We also got the teacher to play one, too! 

Aidan did wonderful in soccer--he even made two goals this year!  His music class is great this year as well.  He is starting on the keyboard.  They are learning intervals and chords.  He is really going to have a great understanding of the HOW of music.  He is also doing well in school.  He has already improved in reading a level or two.  Math is a breeze for him and he is striving weekly to do better in his spelling.  The past three weeks he has gotten 100% and even spelled correctly most of the challenge words.  He is such a sensitive boy.  He heard that his teacher from last year was in the hospital with the flu and he immediately drew her a picture for her!  He loves candy, but he is so good about making it last.  He brought a cookie home from a party three weeks ago and last night he decided to finally eat it...  It didn't taste good. 

Brennan is busy with preschool.  I have enjoyed teaching.  One week we talked about farm animals and made pig masks.  We made leaf wreaths, monster trick-or-treat bags, and q-tip skeletons. 

Scott had a terribly busy month with one of his clients.  They upgraded their server which means a lot of stress and time working, but after much prayer by many, things went absolutely perfectly!  He was able to get some help from a guy in India who works for Microsoft who was especially helpful and kind.  We will ever be indebted to him.  He really made it so much better for Scott!

I have devoted a lot of time helping out a neighbor with her kids while she did some PTA stuff at the school.  I am even more sure that I am happy with four children....  I am behind on Christmas preparation--usually I am already at least half way done with my shopping, but I have barely made my lists!  But, I am learning to be more organized and use my time more wisely.  I have been preparing for a Relief Society lesson for the past three weeks:  "A Time to Prepare" by Elder Ian Ardern from this past General Conference.  It was a real uplifting and inspiring lesson to prepare.  I gave the lesson today and I think it went well.  I hope to fully internalize what I have studied and make sure I put the Lord first!

Just a little shout out to mom and dad--I miss you.  I keep having these feelings of sadness that you are not near.  I miss you staying here!  But, I am glad you are on the mission and know that you are prayed for daily by our little family--the boys never forget to remember you in their prayers.  Hopefully we'll be able to go out next July!

1 comment:

Megan B ♥ said...

Sounds like a busy and fulfilling autumn, my friend! Seriously, no Halloween party? I'm no great lover of Halloween myself, but come on... turkey teacher.