Saturday, August 29, 2009

Finally! The room is done!

I finally finished the toy bags for the toy room and can finally put up photos of the room! We updated the big room above the garage to make it organized and friendly. We sectioned into into three areas: toys, tv, and desk. Scott put wood flooring in the desk area (he did a great job), and we bought some desk and filing furniture from IKEA. It happened to fit the area PERFECTLY (it was hard to find stuff because of the height of the wall--the roof angle-- and the length of the wall). I think it looks great.Plus, we bought matching bookshelves for the little alcove area and so now we have a beautiful library. That is something I have always wanted--granted it isn't huge, but it holds a lot of kids books, and I think the book collection is coming along beautifully!

The TV area has the TV cabinet, which also hold all our DVDs, camera stuff, and photo albums. We bought a new couch, and I plan on making pillows for it... We'll just see if that ever happens.

Those two areas take a little over half the room. Then the rest is the toy area. Since it is above the garage, we cut holes in the walls and stuck (kitchen) cabinets (from IKEA) into the walls (we just bought the cabinet part, not the doors). Those were nailed into the studs very securely, and then we framed it with floorboard type stuff. I searched for months for baskets that would fit and finally found the perfect baskets at Target --I wove some brown ribbon around them to add a little extra (SIDE NOTE: my Target doesn't sell them anymore, and I would like to have one or two extras just in case... if you happen to be at target and see anything like these, please let me know. Blue, or blue and white, woven baskets.) Two of the baskets fit perfectly on one of the shelves. Then I got three bigger brown laundry baskets that fit on the bottom shelves. I am extremely happy with the end result.
We put up hooks along the walls and I made drawstring bags (thanks to my mother-in-law for the idea) out of old jeans and pants. It took forever, but I am so happy with them. I think they will be great. So now ALL of the toys are up off the floor and have a place to live. The only thing I don't have a basket/box/etc for is the bounce house, which I just roll up and stick under the window.

We also have the exercise machine off to one side so we can watch tv while exercising if we wish. I feel that there is now a place for everything (in that room). It is such a nice feeling!

7 comments:

Jeanna said...

Looks great! Love the bags and the desk area is so nice. Isn't it great to be organized? At least for a few minutes, until the kids decide to make a mess, again. :-)

Kristin Sokol said...

Fabulous! I love the bags too. What a great room. You should fund a contest and enter this room. Love it.

B said...

That looks great! You guys did a great job - way to think outside the box:) Very cute and functional - I love it!

Ali Garner said...

I love it! You did a wonderful job. Now I'm inspired to do a little more clean up in my basement. I need to get some Ikea stuff myself. And your little jean bags are darling. Great job!

ba and the boys said...

beautiful! now,just dont let my kids come over and distroy it!

melissa said...

What a great room! You guys are so crafty and creative! I love it.

Nancy said...

great job, the bags look so cute all lined up!