Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Any advice?

We are making major improvements in the house and I need some advice. Our big room above the garage serves three-fold purpose: desk, tv, and toys. But, it is pretty messy, unorganized and not very pretty. So, I need some good ideas for TOY storage. We are going to put some cabinets in the wall on one side, and some hooks along the wall, with toys in bags. But what for the other side of the room?
And for the desk area. I need to know what people store at their desks, and what kind of compartments and storage stuff do I need? Because of how our "desk" is set up now (not well), I just don't know what should be where. Any ideas?
And, we are looking for a microfiber couch--any thoughts? any suggestions?

6 comments:

The Easton Family said...

We bought some really cool cube storage shelves from Target (I can't remember exactly what they're called, but every Target has them) for our boys toys. They have hard canvas boxes that slide perfectly inside each cube. They look nice and the kids like them because they are able to see the "a place for everything and everything in it's place" concept. Good luck!

Virginia Brown said...

Well, file cabinets, of course. But also be sure to have a shallower sort of drawer for pencils, tape, paper clips, etc. We found a double-decker organizer with divisions for stuff and pictures that you can stick in the bottoms of the tray divisions showing what is supposed to go in there. It has really been a help in staying organized. Paper trays are also good for incoming, outgoing, and to-be-filed stuff. And I couldn't get along without my pencil, scissor, postage and sticky note holder right there on top of the desk.

Since our desk is also a double-whammy type for Jess and me, we have three file cabinets that hold up the desk top. The one in the middle is for stuff we both use (financial papers, insurance, etc.) while the one on my side is for my stuff (family letter, One Heart Bulgaria) and the one on his side is for his stuff (his church calling, scripture study, etc.) Works pretty well. He has the printer on his side and I will eventually have a scanner on my side.

You're a good organizer. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Also curious about the colors you use: your kitchen and living room are SO COOL (in a hot kind of way).

Jeanna said...

Storage is so much fun. I put everything in totes. Now the kids won't play with their toys because it's too hard to get it all out. Is that good or bad? The house doesn't get quite so messy with toys! Good luck figuring that out.

You could get one of those storage drawer carts for your desk, one that fits under it so it's a little hidden (sometimes Big Lots had storage containers for cheap).

As for microfiber, I wouldn't buy one. I've heard great things about them for the first few months. But if you don't keep them clean they start to permanently stain. I have one friend and hers looks great, but she cleans it every week (I don't know how) and I have siblings that haven't kept theirs clean and now they wish they had bought leather. Although I don't recommend leather for a couch that kids are allowed to use as a trampoline. Hope that helps.

ba and the boys said...

i love ikea. if you get on their website you can search for the perfect thing.
or you can just get rid of every single toy. that would be less expensive.

Callie said...

I don't have any new idea's for toy storage...we just use shelving and storage bins. We did find a long toy box that also serves as a bench seat for the kids to sit on while reading, which is nice under a window. I know there are lots of cool looking storage items out there now! This is totally not the advice you were looking for, but I saw the coolest thing that I think would be fun for a playroom/office. You paint an entire wall with that "chalkboard paint", so your whole wall becomes a giant black chalkboard. Then in white chalk (or colored) but I think white is more dramatic - the family writes their favorite quotes, poems, doodles all over the entire wall. It was awesome looking!! I am currently trying to decide where in my house I can do it! Have fun! We are currently doing some home overhauling of our own. Remember to post pics when you're done! :)

Callie said...

Oh, and we have a microfiber sectional in our family room, and I LOVE IT. We have had it for a year, and it has survived juice stains, marker stains, and every stain that a little one can throw it! It spot cleans very well. It does take a little upkeep, but nothing that is bothersome. There are faux leather sofa's as well that clean great too, and look and feel like real leather.