Tuesday, December 30, 2008

An Angel Among Us


My Grandma, Beverly Shepherd Daw was a silent angel. The type of person who does so much, touches so many peoples’ lives, is so kind to everyone she meets, and yet neither sought nor gained much attention. She passed away on December 27th. My Grandpa Daw was a very charismatic, outgoing, and dedicated disciple of Christ. He was always in the spotlight and accomplished a lot while he lived.
At his funeral just over a year ago there were hundreds and hundreds of people who came, out of love and respect for a life dedicated to the Savior. I remember looking at my grandmother, who at the time was in the throes of Alzheimer’s and had little idea about what was going on, and I couldn’t help but to think to myself, much of what Grandpa Daw accomplished in his church service and in his humanitarian efforts was a direct result of Grandma Daw. Together they served two missions. First in Columbia, South Carolina where he was the mission president and she served as his companion, and second in the Philippines where he was the president of the MTC and again she as his companion. Her support and behind the scenes labors allowed him to serve and support.
Perhaps one of the greatest sacrifices my grandmother made was when my grandpa was called to serve as the bishop of the South Cottonwood Ward for the second time. The first was when he was a younger man with children at home and obviously this was a sacrifice for her. He served for about 12 and a half years the first time which was a majority of the “Child Raising” years for my grandmother. However, perhaps the second time he served was an even bigger sacrifice for her personally. He was called when he was 76 and released at age 80. These were the sunset years of his life and hers as well. These are years of retirement when many elderly couples travel and enjoy time with their family and time together as a couple. Much of this was put on hold for Grandma and Grandpa. She was left home alone while he spent countless hours at the church serving the Lord. I can only imagine the lives he touched and changed during those years. Imagine having an 80 year old man, with a life time of service and experiences to help guide you through the challenges of life. Grandma made that possible by sacrificing time with Grandpa, for others. I believe this was a conscious sacrifice on her part.
I said that Grandma was left home alone but while there she helped many though service. I can think of one woman that Grandma nurtured and I use that word nurtured literally. This woman’s life was literally saved as a result of the kindness and love shown to her by my Grandma. She was afflicted by every type of malady imaginable from physical impairments to emotional distress to psychological illness to financial misery. Grandma saved her and many others through her Christ-like charity and love. When I said that Grandma was left home alone I also meant that these were the years that she began to show more advanced signs of Alzheimer’s. She began to forget things and tell the same stories over and over again. She began to not be Grandma anymore. I have wondered at times why Grandpa was asked to serve as a bishop at this time in his life and particularly at this time in Grandma’s life. She was getting sick and while he took very good care of her and met her needs, these were years that he could have spent with her as both of their “last” years together. Why at such an old age did Grandpa get called? I think the answer to the question is because he and Grandma were totally dedicated to the Lord and were willing to sacrifice literally everything to the Lord and in many ways did. They could not retire from church service. This life is only a small glimmer in the eternities of time they will spend together and I think they realized that. I will be eternally grateful for the example of these 2 great people. They were 2 of the biggest influences in my life during my childhood and throughout my adult years.
Today I am particularly grateful for my Grandma Daw. When my parents left for a 3 year mission in July of 2001, I felt very alone. I was not married and was kind in a rut. My Grandma Daw became in many way a mother to me and helped me cope at a hard time in my life. I rejoice in the fact that she is with her father who died in 1942 when she was only 15. I rejoice that she is with her mother who died in 1994. Most of all I rejoice that she is now back reunited with Grandpa who died on December 13, 2007. All the time the spent apart in life will now be made up for in the eternities to come.
I love you Grandma.
Love,
Scott

7 comments:

Ali Garner said...

All our sympathy, Scott and Brittany. Our prayers are with you. We love you!

Callie said...

I don't know you, Scott, but I wanted to thank you for such a beautiful post. What amazing people your grandparents were! I am touched by their faith and dedication. The world needs more people like them.

Virginia Brown said...

We, too, were touched by your Grandmother's kindness and generosity. I remember her so graciously letting us use her house and yard for a One Heart Bulgaria event. She was always open to participating in helpful, humanitarian events. We are glad to have known her. Love to you and your whole family from all of the Browns.

Heather said...

what a great tribute to your grandma. I love the vintage photos and what sweet words to describe her goodness!

hzaby said...

That was very sweet about Grandma and Grandpa. They were the best grandparents. They were both great examples of selfless service. They are sorely missed. See you on Sunday, Heather

Missy said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother and grandfather. I know that they meant a lot to you through our conversations. It's so nice that they are able to be together again! Look forward to seeing you tomorrow night!

Missy & Scott

Sam and Josh said...

That is so sweet. What great grandparents.