Now is the season when noses run and coughs abound. Kids are always getting sick, so when do you know if you should leave your kids home from school? I found this GREAT article (from Parenting magazine) that lets us know and thought I would share it with ya'll. Hope it is helpful!
Fever
Okay to go: if temp is below 100.4, drinks fluids, and isn't too crampy.
Not okay: above 100.4
Vomiting
Okay to go: if only heaved once in 24 hours.
Not okay: If vomited two or more times in 24 hours, peeing less than usual, urine is dark yellow, dehydrated. Wait a few days after the vomiting.
Red Eyes
Okay to go: when whites of eyes are only slightly pink and discharge is clear and watery.
Not okay: eye is stuck shut, bright red, and/or oozing yellow or green discharge. Needs to be on antibiotics for 24 hours before returning to school.
Diarrhea
Okay to go: when stools are slightly loose and acting normal
Not okay: runs more than three times a day and so watery it leaks out of diaper. Watch for dehydration.
Sore throat
Okay to go: when accompanied by runny nose is due to simple irritation from draining mucus. Okay if fever free.
Not okay: if accompanied with swollen glands, fever, headache, or stomachache (take to doctor, usually strep). Don't send back til on antibiotics for a full day.
Stomachache
Okay to go: if only symtom and active
Not okay: if associated with vomiting, diarhea, fever, no interest in playing
Colds
Okay to go: if fever free and isn't hacking up a storm
Not okay: if has a persistent phlegmy cough and cranky or lethargic. If wheezing keep home, too.
7 comments:
Really? Maybe I am going to home school my kids during winter months. I don't think I would send my kids to school with symptoms.
Who is the authority on this article?
if only we could post this on the doors going into school...
Those are very helpful. I never know when they're too sick to stay home. Thanks!
that is a great article! Good to know all those things. Just as long as my daughter doesn't see it, because she will know exactly how to fake it so she can stay home.
Now if we could just get this out to all the ward members too so they don't bring sick kids/spouses to church too- I find that more people will go to church sick than to school sick!
I saw this article and very helpful especially with the winter months coming. I hope my kids don't get sick all at once this year.
Post a Comment