We had so many trips at the beginning of summer that we needed to cram all the other stuff at the end of summer. We bought passes to the local swim park (Cowabunga Bay) and we went weekly. Basically any time it wasn't raining. For some reason it was a very wet August. On Wednesdays the kids were able to get free pizza so we really tried to go on Wednesdays... It was a bit chillier some days, but that means no one was there and so we had the park to ourselves. One day we went and we were the first ones there and pretty much only about 15 other people were there. The kids became much braver this year and both Aidan and Weston went on all the rides (several times) and Brennan went on lots of the big ones. Elise and I hung out at the shallow pool or the kids area. Which is nice because the water is so much warmer there. My goal of this expensive activity for the kids was to get them more used to playing in water and not scared of it (goal met!) and now next year I think swimming lessons will be successful. We are looking into a pass at a rec center for next summer so the kids will now play in the pool, not just slides and lazy river... Also, I got a nice tan. :)
A lot of times during the summer I send the kids to summer camps, but this year we didn't do anything like that. Instead, Aidan did his own "rock camp" for neighborhood kids (Weston was going to do soccer and Brennan a cookie camp, but we will do them next year instead). Seven kids signed up (and two other sisters who came just on one day) and they had a blast! The first day they talked about igneous rocks, made a volcano and ate pop rocks. The second day was metamorphic rocks and they made their own metamorphic candy rock out of two starbursts that morphed together. So cute. They also looked at rocks under Aidan's cool digital microscope. The third day they talked about sedimentary rocks. They panned for gold and rocks (some of Aidan's own rocks) and ate sedimentary wafer cookies. I had found mini microscopes for 2.50 on Amazon, so each kid got their own one. He charged them 8$ for the week and made some money while having fun and sharing his knowledge.
Our neighborhood is great about things like that--all the kids sell lemonade and rocks, etc and all the parents are fine with it--and supportive. Two girls down the street (Molly and Emma Wadsworth) did a summer preschool every Tuesday and Thursday for 1 1/2 hours each day the whole summer. Elise went with some friends and loved it. The girls even did a fun program the last day where the kids sang their songs and showed off their knowledge. They got to buy toys/treats with the tokens they had earned over the summer. The girls did a great job and Elise loved it!
And now Elise has started preschool with Mrs. Jean and is loving it. Mrs. Jean is the greatest, so sweet and loving. Elise has made some friends and loves putting on her princess backpack and saying, "Be nice to everyone" as she skips into school. (I ask my kids every day as they leave to school, "What's the most important thing?") She is also doing an online preschool, so she is getting it a lot of academics!
Although I didn't put the kids in summer camps, we did go to the Library for a Mad Science presentation and it was really cool. The scientist used lots of gasses and liquids that created booms, pops, fizzes and vapors. We also went with some friends to Sub Zero, an ice cream place that makes ice cream immediately with nitrogen. The owner did a little presentation about what nitrogen can do (in balloons, combined with water, etc). It was so cool! And, truly, the ice cream was the best I have ever tasted. They pour the cream and flavorings into a metal bowl, mix it around and then spray nitrogen into it and constantly stir it. So good (and interesting). We took Opa there for a treat while he was visiting us.
Our cousins the Lamberts were here for a few days while the mom was at youth conference. The kids loved having them to play with all day. Everyone got along marvelously and they played with every single toy we own. It was fun to have them, but it reminded me why I only have four kids... I feel bad because I was kind of a grump and was sick of cleaning up the house after them! Seven kids make a mess pretty quickly.
Because the house has been messy, we took this last Saturday and cleaned ALL day. Started at 9 am. We would all work together for one hour, and then we had a 15 minute break. Then another hour of cleaning, then a 15 minute break and so forth. Until 3 pm. We got everything dusted, vacuumed, glass cleaned, floors swept, toys organized, books reshelved, beds cleaned under, bedside tables cleaned, and even the closets cleaned! What a good feeling. We did something to make it fun--after each hour, they each got a key to a code. I had made a sentence with numbers, and they would get a letter that went to that number. At the end they got to find out what the sentence said, which was "We are going to Disneyland on September 23rd". It actually should have said 24th... but oh well. They loved it. We are planning on a quick trip there, just two days at the parks with Grandma and Grandpa. It is also nice because I said before we go, the house has to be cleaned up, so I have signs all over saying, "keep things clean so we can go to Disneyland", etc... :)
This has been Scott's big month. He has been training for months and months now for his half iron man. He did a shorter race--the Herriman Triathlon, so prepare him and did so well! Last year he came in 54th overall, this year he came in 16th! What an improvement--he cut off 8 1/2 minutes! I am so proud of him! It has been a fun tradition for our family to be a part of that triathlon. I take the kids up to a park and we eat breakfast as we wait for him to ride by on his bike and we make and hold up signs for him. (Fortunately) I don't think Scott will make a half iron man a tradition... He did so well, but what a race! He swam 1.25 miles, biked 56 miles, and then ran 13.1 miles! Crazy but amazing guy! He did it in 5 hours and 19 minutes which is amazing! Especially for his first one. Scott's mom, dad, and brother came to cheer him on with us. We made big signs that said, "Go Dawminator", etc... And Brennan made a sign that said, "You are Iron Man" and wore his iron man mask. We were able to see him go by as he was finishing his bike, then saw him run by us four times. We cheered him on as he crossed the finish line (and Dad Daw ran with him the last four miles). He is in great shape and knows how to set and obtain a goal. He is my iron man and such a great guy!
Cousin Jennie Stephens did a fundraiser at Texas Roadhouse in Lehi, and since I have two sister in laws who live there, I thought it would be fun to invite them (and my other sis in law and mom in law). So, there were 13 kids and 5 adults. And it was crazy. Seriously crazy. But, yummy and pretty cheap, so we were able to help her out (she is raising money to buy a therapy dog for her son Porter). After, we went swimming with the cousins, and that was fun--the kids had a blast!
Kyle and Linzi and family came into town so we celebrated! We had a movie on the back of our house and they came, along with about 40 people from the neighborhood. People brought homemade ice cream or treats to share and we watched "Honey, I shrunk the kids". It was a good turn out and a fun evening. I wish we could have had more time to just chat with Ky and Linzi, but fortunately, we did a Brown family and friend party the next week. Scott's dad's stake has some awesome land that has playground, pavilion, baseball field, and lots of parking. We had everyone bring their own dinners, but we brought drinks and desserts. It was successful, plus, more time with the Italian Browns! And we even got to have breakfast with them the next day. I made pancakes and they brought fruit salad. Linda and Willy came and we all had a good time talking. Elise loved playing with her girl cousins and they all love Beckett, but particularly Weston. He is so good with kids and really loves his cousins. They formed a special bond. I wish we lived closer, but, hopefully we can get a chance to visit!
While Omi and Opa were down for that, we were able to spend time with them and had a lovely dinner out to Olive Garden. While Omi went off to rescue Ali, Opa stayed here and helped Hilary and then went geocaching with the boys. We love spending time with family!
We have a new museum at Thanksgiving Point called the Curiosity Museum and it is so cool! Brennan was invited to a party of his cousin there, so we all went and everyone had a good time. We could have spent lots of time there, there is so much to do. Each room has something new--water, wind, pretend play, jungle, science, etc. When any of you visit, we will need to go together. On Tuesdays at Thanksgiving Point, you can get into each venue for 2$. Every year I take the kids to the gardens (anything else is extremely busy and not worth it to me, but the gardens are awesome). The kids didn't want to go this year, and so I took Sonya and Elise (while the boys were in school). It was great. So calm and beautiful. I am tempted to get a yearly pass so I can go to the gardens and the curiosity museum over and over again.
Well, now that summer is winding down, soccer has started for Weston and will for Aidan, and Let's Play Music for Brennan, but most important, school has started. The first day was pretty rough. Weston wouldn't go to APA. So I had him clean all day (got a lot done), and I pondered and got feedback from friends. In the end, we decided that it is nice that we can customize schooling depending on the child and he can go to Southland (local school) with stipulations. He will be doing extra school work--math, spelling, typing, etc. We formed a contract and it is signed and will be followed. Education is a hard subject for me and I really struggle knowing if what I am doing is best for the kids. We will see how things turn out, and just pray for the best.
Last thing is a crazy story of something that happened to us. We had stopped at Maverick to get a movie at the Redbox and I saw a guy kind of stumble out of his car and go into the store. He looked drunk or stoned, so I was worried. Even more so when he came out and I got a good look at him. His eyes were droopy and there was obviously something wrong with him. I asked him if he was ok and he said (after a pause..) "Yes, why?" I said he looked sad (which he did, but he mostly looked drunk). He got in his car, so I called the sherriff and we followed him for six miles until he ran a red light and we wouldn't do that. They had me give info so the cops could look for him, but he was weaving and driving fast and then slow, it was crazy! I don't know what has happened, if they got him or not, but hopefully everyone was safe!
And hopefully you are all safe and happy, love to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment