Sunday, January 12, 2014

November and December

Veteran's Day has now become one of my favorite holidays.  The kids' school does a special Veteran's Day Concert and invites local dignitaries and any veterans (and their families) who want to attend.  Hundreds showed up and I was able to help "check" them in.  As we checked them in, we got some information from them--where and when/how long they served our country.  My eyes kept getting moist...  I invited Norma Powell; her husband was a veteran, but he died a few years ago.  The kids all sang several songs, and a few people spoke.  The kids singing was AMAZING.  People couldn't stop the tears from flowing.  It was one of the coolest concerts I have ever been to.  I have a DVD copy of the concert if anyone would like to see it.  Aidan's class sang "My Country Tis of Thee" and Weston's class sang "God Bless America" and "Thank you Soldiers".  They both learned "God Bless the USA" and "The Star Spangled Banner".  All that attended were in tears and moved.  Norma loved it and I cannot wait to invite more veterans next year. 

Lots of opportunities to "perform" these past months.  The kids also got a chance to sing for the Primary Program at church.  The three boys were given the assignment to say a part of the Living Christ.  And because we had memorized it earlier in the year, they quickly rememorized it and said the whole part without reading it.  Brennan was in a "Thanksgiving Play" at school, and he played a pilgrim and said the part, "Like axes and saws for building".  Great line!

Aidan had his first piano recital with his new teacher.  He played the song, "Feeling Good" and really played with feeling!  He was the first one to play, and the youngest.  All the people oohed and awed over him.  He is doing well in piano, as is Weston.  I love that they don't complain about practicing.  Weston was in his Christmas Concert at school.  They sang lots of fun songs:  "Dona Nobis Pacem", "Eight Nights", and "Sing Out a Joyful Song".  The Eight Nights is a Hannakuh song, and it is so much fun.  It has lots of parts to it, and was a difficult song for them, but they did amazing (the music teacher is great). 

We have also had lots of time with friends over the past few months.  I was able to get together with several mission friends: Katherine Norman (Hansen), Yessenia Gonzalez (Price), Keena Richmond (Williams), Trina Popenhagen (Dye), Kristin Hatch and Aino Kemppainen (Larsen).  We had such a great time.  We sat around and talked about mission memories and then made real tortillas and enchiladas.  REAL MEXICAN FOOD!  It was such a fun time, it is so nice to get together with people from the mission.

Scott and I got together with some friends from Herriman.  We went to Setto Bello in downtown Salt Lake and then played some games.  I miss them all, but am glad we get to stay in touch.  We also went to our first ugly sweater party with some friends in the neighborhood.  It was... interesting.  :)  I couldn't find a Christmas Sweater, so I just wore an ugly sweater--very 80's and I did my hair in that style, wore white hightops and pegged my pants.  Ah, what a sight. 

At the beginning of the month the lady I visit teach died.  Darcus Olsen.  She was quite old and very sick, but it was sudden and it threw me a bit.  Heidi and I had the opportunity to help her out for an afternoon a few months ago and I am so glad I got that time to serve her.  Her husband Dan was our home teacher, and now he has gone to live elsewhere.  We will miss them both.

We started a new tradition for Christmas and had a night of singing.  We invited about 35 people, but about 20 people showed up.  Quite a variety of people (different ages, etc) and it made a great group.  I think everyone had a great time.  We sang about 10 songs and had apple cider and treats.  I am excited that we will be able to continue it every year.

Brennan's birthday was the highlight of the month.  We had the funnest dinner celebration!  He wanted it fancy, so we put out china, menus, name placecards, and had a special dinner of Spaghetti, salad, garlic bread, and jello salad.  We had a sparkling juice and ended the meal with a giant cookie and root beer floats.  He got a chef's hat and apron and kitchen cooking utensils, lego sets, and magformers.  For his friend party, each kid made their own pizza and decorated their own cookie.  It was a successful party and very memorable.  He is such a joy to us and makes us smile with his vivid imagination.  School is fun for him and he is learning so much so fast.  I am so glad I get to spend every morning with him before he goes to school.  He is a wacky wonderful kid!  He also lost his first tooth this month!  What an important milestone. 

We spent Thanksgiving with Scott's family.  I made the rolls (great recipe: http://www.howdoesshe.com/delicious-dinner-rolls/).  It was a typical Thanksgiving and fun to be with family.  We started the Christmas activities the next day by going downtown to Temple Square with hot chocolate donuts.  While down there, we met up with my best friend from Ricks College, Jeannie Gallacci.  It was wonderful to see her!  And the activities kept us busy the rest of the year.

Putting up the Christmas Tree was quite an experience.  Poor Scott.  We bought the tree last year after Christmas for a great deal.  But that meant some work getting it all put together.  It took Scott several hours over several days getting the lights to work.  And then we worked on organizing all the other décor.  Scott really did a great job on the outside lights.  He spent hours out there.  When we finally got it all up, we had a "lighting ceremony" with our neighbors to turn the lights on at the same time.  Beautiful!

Some of the other fun activities we did over Christmas were singing at the old folks home.  We met a ninety nine year old who was the same height as Aidan.  She was darling.  I love that tradition.  We decorated candy Christmas trees, made/bought tons of special presents for each other (that was my favorite part of Christmas!), acted out the nativity, sang silly songs while upside down with our faces dressed as elves/santa, and because there was a lot of snow we did tons of sledding.  The kids even went back to the old neighborhood and sledded with their friends there.  We had the Daw family party and went caroling around to people in their neighborhood and ward.  Santa came and each kid got to talk with him and tell him what they wanted.  I love that they get to do that.  Omi and Opa came down to be with us for Christmas and we were able to go to the Brown family party on the 24th.  Elise got sick that day, so she and Scott stayed home.  It was fun to see family members and eat yummy food.  Unfortunately, as soon as I got there, I felt sick!  And so it was on Christmas, several of us were not feeling well. :(  And unfortunately, everyone else got it at some point!  Most of the vacation time we were just sitting around trying to get better. 

We did have a nice Christmas though and had fun with the presents we received (The kids have played nonstop with legos and I got a blendtec and have made several smoothies and other yummies with it!).  Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year!

No comments: