They say March goes in like a Lion and out like a Lamb--but the whole month has crazy from the beginning to the end. We had Parent Teacher Conference for Aidan and Weston. They are both doing well, and both need to work harder on handwriting. Poor kids--they both received poor handwriting genes from their mom and dad... I am getting more frustrated with public schools and am trying to figure out what to do about it. Aidan's class has 31 kids in it and the teacher is completely overwhelmed. In a two week period Aidan brought home three papers that had EVERYTHING wrong on it. They hadn't been corrected and so basically, they were told to do a worksheet, never understanding the concepts. I like the teacher, but the "aide" is not helpful. We'll see what happens as time passes.
Aidan lost his two front teeth. They were loose and then one day he and Weston were horsing around and he hit his mouth and one of them really loosened up. Scott put a piece of floss around it and Aidan popped it out. Then two days later, he was jumping on the trampoline, when his knee whacked his other tooth loosening it so much that it was twisted sideways in his mouth. Again, floss and a tug and the other tooth popped out as well. I was able to take Aidan to a gem faire where there were lots of rocks and minerals and he had a blast. We took his little reference book and looked things up and found some special stones to buy. He would like to have his own rock museum some day.
Brennan took a little T-Ball class and he did well. He says he would rather do soccer though. We'll see what he ends up doing. He did get to go to Kindergarten orientation and I don't know how he will wait five more months--he is way too excited. We are starting a new reading program to prepare him for kinder "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". We've made a calendar and daily he will do the little reading class with me. By the time the program is over, it will be time for kindergarten. Every night we read to him from the Book of Mormon reader, and then one of the "Max" Primary Readers books. We read a line and then he has to say it as well. He makes us laugh saying fun things like: "I am Mr. Happiness!"
Elise also keeps us rolling with laughter as she comes up with fun things to say and do. She was being silly and I said, "You are such a nerd." She emphatically replied, "I am not a nerd, I am a chicken!" She also came in late one night, bowed, and said, "I am Miss Carrie." It actually came out more like, "yammishcare". We had her say it over and over again (she bowed each time). We think we understand what she said, but we really aren't sure. And I'm not sure who Miss Carrie is... I have been trying out new things with Elise's hair. The latest is to tie it in rags and leave it overnight. In the morning it comes out pretty curly. She loves to dress up and put on "makeup". She got a little tote of makeup for Christmas (not on purpose--at the store she put her finger in it and messed it up, so I had to buy it) and I have learned to NOT let her have it on her own. She got it on the carpet, and I cannot get the pink lipstick stain out!
I had my 15 minutes of fame. A local radio station was having a contest. I sent in a recipe and they chose me as a finalist in a cooking show at the Home and Garden Show at the Expo. Really there wasn't much in it. There were supposed to be four finalist, but only two of us showed up, so they chose someone out of the audience to compete with us. The other finalist is actually a professional--she has a recipe book out and everything. They had us cook salmon and instead of choosing a winner based on taste, etc, they just randomly chose a winner. I didn't win that--I wouldn't have won if they based it on taste either.... But that is ok (actually, the lady from the audience won). It was a fun thing to do that I wouldn't normally do. I did win a recycled glass cutting board. It is really ugly. Nice...
Scott's dad was released as the Stake President. It has been a long time and we are excited to have more time with him. We celebrated with a family lunch--both Lauren and Cam came into town. Cam is dating a new girl and we got to meet her. We all like her and hope it works out. Scott has been busy with work and a new business venture. An advertising magazine for home building, etc. He is putting so much work into it and it seems it will be successful. I am praying that it will be. He has also been busy with projects. Now that it is warmer, we are working outside a lot more. He has started on retaining walls in the garden and the play area. This past weekend he took 12 hours and put together the new playset for the kids. It is a fun set with lots for the kids to do--and for us there is no upkeep and it will last forever.
Weston started soccer already--just practices so far, but it is nice to get him out playing again. The weather is teasing us though--showing us some beautiful sun, and then snowing! Our spring break weather was pretty nice and we spent a bit of time outside. Both Scott and I were sick with a cold and Weston was so helpful and kind. At one point I was not feeling well and he ran in to me with a note that said, "You are the best mom. Don't dou(b)t it." It made my heart sing. I love to see my children being kind to others--and it feels especially good when they are kind to me.
For Easter, we didn't do much, but we did have Hil, Charles, Norma and Elaine all over for dinner. I made fresh strawberry pie--I happened to be able to buy 16 lbs of strawberries for 12 dollars. Norma and Elaine helped me make tons of jam and freeze some for smoothies, etc. We have eaten our fair share of strawberries, but are enjoying every bite!
No comments:
Post a Comment