The month of December was pretty good considering that we were exceptionally busy. I was not on top of things and didn't get all the present shopping done early. It didn't help that Brennan kept
changing his mind about what he wanted (up til the last minute...). Weston is getting past the toy stage and getting into expensive items. Aidan is usually easy to shop for, mainly because he always asks for rocks... and of course Elise is fun to shop for because I get to buy new girl toys!!!
At the beginning of the month we went up to Idaho to spend time with the Barkers and had a marvelous time! (It is so cold up there though!) Heidi is so good at throwing fun parties--yummy drinks, special desserts, abelskivers, etc. Cal Murdock and Mr. Bowen were invited so it was fun to get caught up with both of them. Mr. Bowen was so funny and fun. We sang Christmas songs and had a talent show from the kids. Cal gave me an update on his life and one of his good friends is preparing to go back through the temple. What a great influence he has been! The kids all had a great time together as well. Heidi and I made neighbor gifts together (Abuelitas Hot Chocolate) and we plan on doing neighbor gifts together for next year as well.
Scott and I somehow (miraculously) got tickets to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Concert. It was with Alfie Boe and Tom Brokaw. Tom Brokaw told the story of the Candy Bomber (Col. Gail "Hal" Halvorsen)--look it up, good stuff. It was an amazing performance and I was brought to tears (which doesn't happen often. Scott, of course, was crying...) When it comes out on DVD next year I suggest you all watch it. We went with some new friends from our ward and then went out to Cheesecake Factory. It seems we were out every night this month!
Speaking of music, Scott and I sing in our ward Choir and there was a Stake Night of Music we were a part of. The songs were really pretty this year. One was a Brazilian Christmas Folk Song that was beautiful! The kids also learned another new song for this year (they learn a new Christmas song this year) and we practiced and practiced and then went to a few homes in our neighborhood and sang to some people and then went to our local Nursing Home and sang to them. It was a great experience. We do it yearly and sometimes I think, "Why do we do this? It is such a hassle and the kids don't seem to get it." This year, it paid off. Weston could not stop talking about it and what a great time he had. Yippee! He loved it! Weston had a recorder recital at school as well this year and he has done a great job with it. I am glad my kids love music so much. And continuing on the subject of singing, Aidan had a very special part in our ward Christmas program in Sacrament Meeting. He sang the first verse of Silent Night all by himself. The primary joined him on the second verse and the choir joined on the 3rd. He did a marvelous job and it brought tears to many people. Brennan also had a chance to show off his singing when his preschool had a Christmas program and they all sang fun songs. He has some really good friends in preschool and they are so cute together.
One of the funnest parts of the month was the Brown Family party which we hosted this year. Barbara always seems to be hosting and she needs a break, plus we wanted to "show off" our new house. I always love to host a party because I really clean the house!!! I know there is clean up after, but paper plates help with that. The regular clan showed up, Matt and Barb and their kids, Lynn and his kids, Jennie Stephens and clan, and this year Adam and Jan brought some of Jan's family and they were a delightful addition. Hilary brought her new beau Charles, great to meet him. We all had a great time and the food was great. The highlight of the party was the nativity when Lily was Mary, and she had a doll, but then the other three girls (who were angels or etc) all came in with their baby Jesus dolls (Elise's was Minnie Mouse). So we really had four Mary's...
We had two nights of Christmas parties with the Daws. One night we took presents to some families in need (instead of getting presents for each other or from Mom and Dad, we took that money and got presents for three different needy families), and then Santa came to visit. It is such a highlight for the kids. Then, the next day we had a huge dinner together and visited and watched the movie "Silent Night" (another great DVD I suggest).
Even though we were busy having fun a lot of the month, we didn't miss out on our share of sickness. Everyone went through a bout of a stomach bug, and then all the kids had fevers and colds at some point. That didn't seem to stop us from having fun though.
Christmas eve was full of our usual traditions (this year they got Angry Bird pjs). It was a really snowy night and so we curled up with hot chocolate and watched Christmas movies together. Christmas morning was fun in our new house, but different, too. Before they couldn't see the living room with all the loot, but this year they came out of their rooms and peeked over the banister. Weston received a soccer trainer and Ute stuff, Aidan got Ninjago Legos toys and rocks, Brennan got an art easel and a donut maker, and Elise got a bike and Minnie Mouse toys. Weston made us some presents at school and scouts and Aidan gave each person a present he had made or found. Brennan made some special gifts he left for Santa. On Christmas Eve he said a special prayer that Santa's sleigh wouldn't crash. Elise loved getting into all the Christmas fun.
I am curled in my my bed with a heating blanket on me--it is my favorite gift from my husband. He also gave me a entry table (yea!). I got him some foam mats for his workout room and a tiny Moroni. He has a Salt Lake Temple replica from his grandparents, but the Moroni broke off and was lost years ago. I found a tie pin of Moroni and it fits perfectly!
Ali came in to town and we had so much fun playing and shopping. We went to City Creek and spent lots of time just window shopping--Anthropologie is the greatest!! Such cute stuff that costs way too much, but let's us dream... my dream house is so nice!!! Then we spent time not window shopping, on little girl clothes. Gymboree had a great sale and then we both got an extra 25% off the
total! Ali is so much fun to shop with. We also treated ourselves to cute shirts as a reward for being such great shoppers.
They whole Garner clan came over on Sunday and joined us at church and then we had a great afternoon just hanging out together. We made a delicious dinner of chicken enchiladas and Hil and Charles joined us. I didn't make enough, things were gobbled up quickly. We played a really fun game (I don't know what it is called, but it is where everyone writes names of famous/well-known people and then we split into teams and try to guess the names... It was pretty fun). I loved having Ali close and spending good time with her! Elise and Mer had a great time playing and Ethan has grown so much (I am trying to convince him to come live here in the summer and help finish our basement.... :) Noah was just as fun as always--Thanks for coming to visit!
Over the break we had fun with cousins at grandma and grandpa's, went to a movie (Rise of the Guardians), went out to Tepanyaki (lots of fun, especially cause we put all the adults at one table and the kids at another!), played with all the new toys, played in the snow, and Scott and I went to Les Miserables and went to a party with friends from the old neighborhood. I am glad we can keep in contact with them. For New Year's Eve we went to Matt and Liz's house and had a fun party. We are all getting tired from staying up so late! I am ready to get back to a schedule. Happy New Year everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment