At the beginning of the month we were living at Mom and Dad Daw's, school had started up again, so I was driving an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon to get the kids to and from school. Then back anytime we had soccer practice or games, or other activities. Grandma was home from rehab (The boys made her a welcome home sign and sang "Consider yourself at home") and mom was busy caring for her. Grandma was mostly scared to be by herself when she had to get up and walk around, she was afraid of falling again (that is why she was in rehab--she fell and broke her back). Mom and dad had planned a trip to Mexico months before and because we were living there, they were able to go and I could be there to help grandma. So I was privileged to take care of Grandma Bea for a week. I gave her pain meds in the middle of the night, helped her in the morning (she did have a "visiting angel" who came to help her out of bed, get dressed, etc and then came in the evening to get her ready for bed), I got her meals, gave her meds, sat and talked with her, watched old movies with her and generally just had a good time. She told stories, talked about how much she loved her kids and grandkids, kept up on all the political stuff, read every page of the newspaper daily, shared life savers with the kids, sang songs, and laughed with me a lot! When Grandma was eating meals, Elise would get her meal and put it on a chair, pull up a little chair and eat with grandma. It was so cute!
I am so grateful I got that special time with her. She is so special to me--we are alike in so many ways and we both love Scott... :) A few days after we moved out, she starting feeling worse and then she kind of fell... the next morning she wouldn't get out of bed, and the following day they brought in a hospital bed for her. I went in the next day to watch her while mom and dad went out to look for a home for her to live in. The whole time I was there, she slept. At one point she woke up and asked if she was dying and if that is why everyone was being nice to her. I answered that I am always nice to her! But even then, I didn't think she would be going so soon. As I kissed her goodbye to told me not to go. Two days later we decided to stop by, and I am so glad we did. She had stopped eating and drinking, they had brought in hospice. Monday we went by to say goodbye. It was rough, and when we got home I broke down. Cried for a couple of hours. Scott and I looked at old photos and told stories. She was an amazing person. We thought we had said our last good bye, but after the big cry, we both wanted to go back once more so Tuesday morning we went back and said one last goodbye. That night she passed away. I am so grateful I knew and associated with this wonderful lady! Thank you very much, Grandma Bea!
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=betty-blair&pid=157873714
Now we are moved into Norma and Elaine Powell's home. They are such wonderful ladies who LOVE the kids and the kids love them. It is nicer being close to the school and we have even walked a few times. The kids are doing well in school and excited to be out for summer. Brennan finished up his little preschool. They are full swing in soccer and they are doing well. Elise's vocabulary has blossomed since living with Grandma and Grandma--she loved being with them and being spoiled (and that hasn't stopped here at N and E's!). The kids are doing okay with Grandma's passing, Weston is sad and he is such a sensitive boy. He understand the gospel so well, and although he is sad she has died, he understands he will see her again. Aidan is quiet about it all. We did ask him to draw a picture for her and he drew a picture of him on earth and her in heaven (what a sweetie!). Brennan is a bit frightened though. He told me he didn't want grandma to die. When I sat and talked with him about it, I asked him if he was worried about anything, or concerned and he said, "I don't want to die, I don't want to get old, and I don't want to pick my nose." There is a bit more to that story... but fun to hear my sweet boy say cute things!
With Memorial Day coming up, we started by going to Grandma and Grandpa Daw's graves when in Murray. Then Norma and Elaine took myself and Brennan and Elise up to Duschene and Heber to see their family graves. It was fun to be in Dad's old stomping grounds (he and Norma talked for a bit about people they knew in common). Then the Sunday before Memorial Day we went out looking for the Brown and Newman graves. We were able to see Gerbie's grave and Grandpa Newman. Gerbie's is easy to find--I am glad I know where it is now and can return often. Then we found the Brown side. I hope we can do that each year (at least!). On Memorial Day we attended a little ceremony in Herriman where Richard Powell (Norma's husband) is buried. It was a sweet experience. We visited Grandpa Blair's grave and visited with Grandma Nancy. My feelings about family are so strong right now with all that is going on. I am grateful that we have a close family that loves each other!
Scott keeps up with taking pics of the home as it is coming along. We had to finalize about a few things--colors, granite, etc. I believe all the decisions are done being made. (Though we are still doing a few things--choosing bed sets, etc). It has been stressful, but a bit fun, too. I am excited to see it all come together. Everyone tells me it is all worth it in the end--I am hoping to see that soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment