Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Scott's story

Here is Scott's story:
So I’m getting off the freeway at 600 South this morning, following a black Chevy Tahoe.  As we get off, the guy driving starts to swerve back and forth a little bit, so I’m thinking to myself, “This guy is on the phone texting somebody, not watching where he is going.”  All the sudden, he takes a major shift to the right, goes up over the curb and sideswipes a light post.  It knocks the light off the top, and it falls and shatters on the sidewalk.  At which point, he comes back into the lane.  But, I could tell that he was no longer pressing the gas pedal, because he was slowly coasting in the intersection and stopped in the middle of the intersection ---green light, luckily.  I pull up next to him and immediately could tell that he was having some sort of a seizure.  As I’m about to get out of my car, his foot pushes on the gas pedal briefly and he begins to travel veering off right through the intersection.  Somehow the car goes right in between a telephone pole and a traffic light post, with about a foot of clearance on each side.  His car stops about a foot from a gas station marquee.  I pull my car over and jump out and he is still seizing.  I run over and pull on the handle of the door, but it is locked.  However, his window is lowered just enough that I can reach my arm in.  I climb up on the running board and reach my arm in to unlock it and just as I do, his foot presses the gas pedal without letting up.  He, I, and the Tahoe travel a foot and hit the marquee which luckily was a big metal post securely concreted into the ground.  Because it was just a foot, the impact wasn’t really anything…  I unlocked the door, get in, the wheels are spinning, smoke is pouring off the back wheels—the rubber is burning.  I quickly reach over, grab the shifter, and pull it to park and then turn off the ignition.  The guy is starting to calm down at this point and a police officer was not too far behind and he pulled up within 20 seconds, as well as other people.  As the cop is seeing if the guy is okay, he starts to seize again.  The paramedics came, the cop got my statement and then told me I was free to go. 

3 comments:

Lauren@ "Happiness is..." said...

how scary! Way to go scotto! Did you ever find out what happened to the man?

Kristin Sokol said...

Oh my goodness...YOu are married to Batman! What a hero!

Anonymous said...

That's scary! So nice of you to help him.