Friday, April 29, 2011

For the Birds

Not that lots is going on, but we have finally got something to write about. Spring is kind of in the air, with lots of hints of the winter (it is snowing right now!), but still, the tulips are about to bloom, the daffodils are dancing, and our barbeque has a giant nest in it (with six blue eggs)! Isn't that amazing? I saw birds hopping around near it with sticks, etc and told Scott that I thought a nest was in there, so after a week or so, he checked it out and sure enough... It was beautiful. Of course we wouldn't be barbequeing any time soon. Though Weston did ask if we could eat the eggs--you know because Omi and Opa eat their bird eggs.
So yesterday, I took some photos today of the nest and a few minutes later I looked out and there were two male birds fighting and the female looking on (then she got bored and went into the barbeque). They fought for at least 10 minutes --mean! Pecking each other and turning and clawing. Finally one knew he was in for and took off, the other one chirping after him. The winner got up on the barbeque and puffed out his chest chirping and squawking for a few minutes telling the world how great he is and warning off the competition. Quite a show and I saw it all!

Then today, Scott went out to check on it and all the eggs are gone! I don't know if they moved them (can they do that?)--cause there are no sign of any eggs anywhere near the nest. There was a piece of a broken eggs near the fence. I don't know if somehow we disturbed the nest and so they moved and new birds were trying to move in, or if some new birds tried to take over or what, but since the eggs were gone, we decided to claim our barbeque again. We've gotten rid of the nest (and almost immediately new birds tried to build again!). I thought we would really love have a birds nest in our yard, but then I looked at the raspberry bushes next to the barbeque and noticed how picked on they were... maybe I am glad we won't have birds eating our berries! Still a neat experience for the kids.

2 comments:

A said...

We have S tiles for a roof... I really hate S tiles. There is a birds nest in every stinking one and there must be about 6,000 of them. I also found about 2 dozen quail eggs in our back yard under our water storage (its on a pallett)Most of the quail eggs have been abandoned and I dont want to disturb them unitl the others hatch. Every couple of days I find another broken egg that has rolled out from under one of the S tiles and broken. And fianlly The racket those birds make! All through the house you can hear birds and it sounds like they are in the house. Who knew spring could be so full of eggs.

Megan B ♥ said...

Sigh.... I am so terribly disturbed by all of this. I have no idea if I bbq-ed someones babies or not. I truly thought it was some strange creation of the Herriman wind. I'm afraid to even go look again today.